Youtube Brand Partnerships: Case Studies
There are several cases of companies working with YouTubers to grow their brand, however, we have zoomed in on two, Maybelline, Manny MUA and others as well as SeatGeek, David Dobrik and Zane Hijazi. These cases have had great successes, including the increase of sales by 1,500% and 150 million views in the case of SeatGeek and Dobrik's partnership.
Case Study #1: Maybelline
- In 2017, Maybelline partnered with Manny Guiterrez (aka Manny MaveUA) who played the role of brand ambassador for the company. Maybelline found Manny's statement “I think boys deserve just as much recognition,” to be inspiring and therefore saw the YouTuber as being perfect to showcase the brand. Maybelline wanted its audience to be more diverse and believed that Manny would represent the LGBT community and influence viewers of various genders, to "lash like a boss.”
- To measure their efforts, the partnership produced two commercials for YouTube, one of which engendered more than 8.3 million views.
- Maybelline also linked up with 13 beauty vloggers, i-D magazine and others to launch its Nude Palettes as they wanted to reach as many new customers as possible. The data show that there was an increase in brand awareness by 2.4 to 2.9 times what previously existed. Other successes include more than 1.8 million views from the i-D trailer, an average replay of the trailer of 54% and the 13 vloggers accounted for approximately 58% of the watch time of the campaign.
Case Study #2: SeatGeek
- Ticketing company SeatGeek has partnered with David Dobrik where the YouTuber was asked to mention the brand during one of its sketches with a view to wooing customers and different itself in the market. SeatGeek In exchange, SeatGeek would assist Dobrik in various ways, including purchasing new cars such as Mercedes-Benz, Jeeps, and Tesla. As a result of this arrangement, each video has garnered over 7 million views and SeatGeek has generated over 125 million views.
- SeatGeek has sponsored over 22 videos done by Dobrik and helped to engender 150 million views. In his videos, Dobrik offers viewers a $20 discount towards their first purchase at SeatGeek. Also, SeatGeek's sales as a result of Dobrik's videos has grown by 1,500% since the start of their relationship in 2015.
We started by searching for YouTubers and creators partnering with brands and found several sources from Business Insider, Adage and Practical eCommerce. This then led us to further explore the YouTubers and brands mentioned in these sources. We searched for the partnership between Amron Lopez and Maybelline but found instead Manny MUA and the said brand. A similar strategy was utilized to find the other examples with SeatGeek, Dobrik and Hijazi. From the Business Insider sources found, we took individual vloggers or influencers and searched for companies they partnered with. We then used the cases for which there was sufficient information available and included only very popular YouTubers, David Dobrik has 14.6 million subscribers, and Manny MUA 4.79 million.