Weekly Blockchain News 9/7/19-9/13/19
Six articles on blockchain and data security and seven articles on the commercial uses of blockchain have been presented in the attached spreadsheet. The most retweeted tweet was by @ekilhawa, Anuel AA, Daddy Yankee, Karol G, Ozuna and J Balvin's music video China was the most watched video this week with 46,170,532 views, while "google" was the most searched search term, and Kevin Hart was the most trending search term.
BLOCKCHAIN / DATA SECURITY
- Warning Issued After Malware Is Found To Have Hijacked Bitcoin Blockchain - "The Glupteba malware installed itself on the bitcoin blockchain. While this doesn't affect the Bitcoin network, it allows the malware to continue running even if a device's antivirus software blocks its traditional connection."
- Investors are Leaving Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Industry — "Even though venture capital investors are slowly leaving the blockchain and cryptocurrency industry, user adoption is steadily increasing."
- Blockchain Technology in Healthcare Market will cross USD 1.6 billion by 2025: Global Market Insights, Inc. — "The market size of the market for blockchain technology applied in healthcare will reach $1.6 billion by 2025."
- Consortium of oil & gas operators awards blockchain pilot contract — "A newly created Oil & Gas Blockchain Consortium awarded a pilot contract to a Houston based firm Data Gumbo which will develop the technology for water handling services in Dakota fields."
- Report: Blockchain Devices Market to Grow to $1.285 Billion by 2024 — "The market for blockchain devices will grow at an estimated CAGR of 42.5%, to reach $1.28 billion by 2024."
- Gartner sees blockchain as ‘transformational’ across industries – in 5 to 10 years — "Research firm Gartner states that blockchain technology will transform a wide range of industries in the next 5 to 10 years."
COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS OF BLOCKCHAIN
- LG preparing to launch blockchain smartphones – Report — "South Korean IT Chosun reported, citing industry sources, that LG is preparing to launch blockchain-friendly smartphones in the near future."
- Mastercard partners with R3 to develop blockchain enabled cross-border payments offering — "Mastercard is developing a blockchain-based cross-border payments solution in partnership with R3."
- DBS speeds up trade financing for SMEs in China with blockchain platform — "DBS Bank launched a financing facility on a blockchain network to help Chinese small and medium-sized enterprises to receive financing faster."
- Russia’s Largest Bank Buys $15 Million in Debt Using Hyperledger Blockchain — "Sberbank used a blockchain to purchase $15 million of accounts receivable from he Singapore-based commodity trading giant Trafigura."
- Santander Issues $20 Million End-To-End Blockchain Bond on Ethereum — "Spanish Banco Santander issued what it claims to be the world's first end-to-end blockchain bond. The $20 million bond was issued on the Ethereum blockchain, where it will stay to maturity."
- Warner Music to Build Token on New Blockchain by CryptoKitties Creator — "Warner Music invested in CryptoKitties creator Dapper Labs in order to create digital assets on its blockchain."
- Russian banking and retailing giants launch blockchain service — "Russian Alfa-Bank, and its partner, X5 Retail Group announced that they will launch Russia's first liquidity management service on a blockchain."
POP CULTURE THIS WEEK (8/31/2019 – 9/6/2019)
- Manal's tweet, "This has to be the funniest thing I’ve seen in a while " was the most retweeted tweet on September 13, 2019.
- The most watched YouTube video: Anuel AA, Daddy Yankee, Karol G, Ozuna and J Balvin's music video China was the most watched video this week with 46,170,532 views.
- The most searched term on Google: "google" was the most searched term, and "camilo sesto" was the most trending term searched for.
Twitter does not have an explicit API to track retweet counts. The social media platform does not allow outside entities like statistics and analytics websites to track the retweets and other statistics for any timeframe longer than 24 hours. Therefore, determining the most retweeted tweet for the past week was impossible due to technical limitations. Media outlets and pop culture websites track the most retweeted tweets of all time, but that information is not relevant for the past week. Therefore, we have provided the most retweeted tweet for the end of the week, 9/13/2019, because that information is the only relevant publicly available information.