Company Overview - Wawa
Wawa is headquartered in Wawa, Pennsylvania. The company has more than 850 stores. Currently, the company has stores in Washington D.C., Virginia, Florida, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey.
History and Origin
- Wawa, Inc. was founded in New Jersey in 1803 as an iron foundry.
- In the late 19th century, George Wood, the owner, started taking interest in dairy farming, which resulted in the opening of a processing plant in 1902 in Wawa, Pennsylvania.
- The home delivery model became less popular in the 1960s, which led to the first Wawa Food Market being opened in April 1964 as a dairy products outlet in Folsom, Pennsylvania.
- The store became a success when it started since it was allowed to open on Sundays unlike other stores.
- As it stands, Wawa has over 850 retail stores.
- In 1968, Wawa opened its first store in New Jersey.
- In 1969, the company opened its first store in Delaware and started offering other types of foods such as fried chicken and hamburgers in its other locations.
- By 1972, Wawa had opened 100 stores. In the same year, the company came up with the slogan “People on the Go — Go to Wawa Food Markets.” Also, the stores were open round the clock.
- In 1975, Wawa stores started to brew and sell fresh coffee. The company opened its 200th store in 1978 in Souderton, New Jersey. It won “Best of Philly” award in 1980.
- Wawa opened its 300th store in Woodstown, New Jersey in 1986.
- In 1991, Wawa received the Master Dairy’s Quality Product Awards.
- Wawa opened its largest store in Tinicum, Pennsylvania in 1994. The store had more than 50 parking spots and was 5,700 square feet.
- In 2002, Wawa installed Touch Screen Ordering in all its stores.
- The company launched 100% Colombian brew in 2009 and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2014.
- Today, Wawa has more than 850 stores.
- Wawa stores are located in Washington D.C., Virginia, Florida, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey.
- The company has 200 locations in Florida, 86 locations in Virginia, and two in Washington D.C.
- In addition, Wawa has 53 locations in Maryland, 236 locations in Pennsylvania, 41 in Delaware, and 251 in New Jersey.
- Wawa has its headquarters in Wawa, Pennsylvania.
Agency of Record
- Braithwaite Communications is Wawa's current agency of record for marketing and advertising.
Examples of Creatives
- Wawa did a television ad campaign in 2018 for Hoagiefest.
- The company also did a television ad campaign known as "A Good thing Going."