Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar [Top Competitors]
Buffalo Wild Wings, Boston's Pizza Restaurant and Sports Bar, Beef 'O' Brady's, Od Chicago Pizza and Tap Room and Buffalo Wings and Rings are some direct competitors to Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar. The details of each have been entered into the attached spreadsheet and outlined below.
Buffalo Wild Wings
- Buffalo Wild Wings' website can be found here.
- The restaurant focuses on buffalo wings, offering a variety of sauce options for both bone-in and boneless wings. The menu also offers burgers, sandwiches, salads, appetizers and kids' items among other things.
- Buffalo Wild Wings offer a variety of domestic and craft beers on taps, with the selection varying by location.
- Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants have televisions playing a variety of sports and many offer game day specials.
- Buffalo Wild Wings has locations throughout the U.S., including locations in each of the states where there are Walk-On's locations.
Boston's Pizza Restaurant and Sports Bar
- The website for Boston's Pizza Restaurant and Sports Bar can be found here.
- Boston's is a restaurant and sports bar with locations in 15 U.S. states, including Florida and Texas.
- Boston's menu focuses on pizza, but also includes burgers, salads and pasta, among other things.
- Restaurants in the chain offer a variety of cocktails along with beer and wine.
- Boston's locations play games on televisions in the sports bar section of the restaurant.
Beef 'O' Brady's
- The website for Beef 'O' Brady's can be found here.
- Beef 'O' Brady's is a chain restaurant and sports bar whose tagline is "Good Food, Good Sports."
- The company has locations in 21 U.S. states, including all the states in which Walk On's restaurants are located.
- The menu includes salads, sandwiches, burgers, seafood, and steaks among other things.
- The chain also offers a variety of cocktails, beer and wine at its locations.
Old Chicago Pizza and Taproom
- The website for Old Chicago Pizza and Taproom can be found here.
- Old Chicago Pizza and Tap Room is a chain restaurant with locations in 24 states, including North Carolina and Texas.
- The restaurant chain's menu focuses on pizza, but also includes pasta, salads, burger and sandwiches, among other things.
- The restaurants also offer a variety of beers on tap, which vary by location.
- Old Chicago restaurants show sports on televisions throughout the restaurants and sometimes offer discounts on game days.
Buffalo Wings and Rings
- The Buffalo Wings and Rings website can be found here.
- Buffalo Wings and Rings is a chain restaurant with locations in 13 states, including Florida, North Carolina and Texas.
- The menu includes wings, burgers, sandwiches, salads and quesadillas among other things.
- The chain calls itself "a club-level sports restaurant" and boasts 50 or more T.V.s in each restaurant.
- Buffalo Wings and Rings offers a full bar and has a menu of signature drinks.
In order to identify competitors to Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar, we first reviewed the company's website to gain an understanding of their model and offerings. Walk-On's is a sports bar/restaurant chain with locations in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and Texas. We then looked for major chain restaurants that combine sports, food and alcohol and have locations in one or more of these states. Based on this search, we identified Buffalo Wild Wings, Boston's Pizza Restaurant and Sports Bar, Beef 'O' Brady's, Od Chicago Pizza and Tap Room and Buffalo Wings and Rings. We then researched each to obtain the needed information.
[Competitive Landscape] Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar - Row 3
Buffalo Wild Wings is a casual dining chain that is positioned as a sports bar offering great wings and beer. A deeper dive of our findings can be found in the attached spreadsheet.
- Buffalo Wild Wings has 1,208 outlets in the United States and is present in every state in the country.
- The company's tagline is "Wings, Beer, Sports" and it targets upper-middle class and suburban household men who are sports fans and between the ages of 18-35.
- The 21 signature sauces and seasoning that Buffalo Wild Wings offers is one of its key differentiators. It also serves the most draught beer in the United States.
- Buffalo Wild Wings aims to offer a stadium-like viewing experience at its restaurants for a fraction of the cost.
- Currently, it is focusing more on the experience than the food and recently launched "B-Dubs Express" --a small-scale format of its traditional restaurant-- that "mimics the atmosphere of traditional locations, but features counter-style service that caters to the speed and convenience consumers seek".
- The company is technology-savvy and is using technology at the customer end as well as operationally.
- The link to its "Buffalo Wild Wings, roar!" campaign can be found here.
- The link to its "Football Prenup" campaign can be found here.
The business model has been described as per the definition provided on Investopedia.
[Competitive Landscape] Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar - Row 4
All the requested information about Boston's Pizza Restaurant & Sports Bar (which we refer to herein as "Boston's") is included in the attached spreadsheet.
Boston's Pizza Restaurant & Sports Bar
1. Business Model
- In April 2019, Boston's announced a "new strategic plan for record-breaking growth." To achieve that growth, Boston's is opening new restaurants, redesigning the layout of some restaurants, and refreshing its menu.
- With regard to opening new restaurants, Boston's goal is to achieve an annual 30% increase in its U.S.-restaurant presence between 2019 and 2021.
- For 2019, Boston's planned "to open six new restaurants." Five of those restaurants will be located in new geographical markets.
- With regard to redesigning restaurants, Boston's is looking to reduce the square footage of some restaurants, in order to increase profitability and be better positioned for city locations. Boston's is also working to upgrade technologies used in its restaurants and provide upgrades such as installing fire pits on outdoor patios.
- With regard to refreshing its menu, Boston's is focused on creating menu items that are made with dough, in order to reduce costs of food for the restaurant operators and ultimately increase profitability.
- Boston's is presently focused on working with "multi-unit operators across the" U.S., especially in the South (including Florida and Texas) and Midwest regions.
2. Number of Employees
- The only employee count data we found for Boston's was for the company overall, which spans Canada, the U.S., and Mexico. However, we were able to triangulate the estimated number of U.S. employees (detailed below).
- Boston's net employee count across those three countries totals approximately 30,200 (approximately 30,000 in-store employees + approximately 200 corporate employees).
- For our triangulated calculation about the number of U.S. employees, we first needed to determine its total number of restaurants across all three countries, which equates to approximately 438 (approximately 400 in Canada + 22 in the U.S. + 16 in Mexico (we counted all the Mexico locations to arrive at that number)).
- Of those 438 restaurants, 22 are in the U.S.
- Next, we set up a cross calculation, which (in words) reads as follows: X (U.S. employees; the value we were solving for) is to 30,200 (employees) as 22 (U.S. restaurants) is to 438 (total restaurants).
- To solve for X (U.S. employee count), we multiplied 30,200 by 22 and divided that value by 438, which equals 1,517 (rounded to the nearest whole number).
- Therefore, according to our triangulated calculation, Boston's has approximately 1,517 U.S. employees.
3. Number of Restaurants
- The following are the states that Boston's has restaurants in: Texas, Arizona, Ohio, Minnesota, Michigan, California, Colorado, Montana, Florida, Utah, Arkansas, Washington, Maryland, Wisconsin, and North Dakota.
5. Main Messaging
- The main message that Boston's uses is its brand promise, which states: "We'll make you a fan" (a clear reference to its sports-bar theme).
- Quality food, excellent customer service, and friendliness are other key components of Boston's main messaging. Those messaging components are demonstrated in the following three taglines that Boston's states on its website.
- The first example states: "Built on quality, made on friends."
- The second example of that messaging states: "[A] passion for quality, service and a friendly environment."
- The third example states: "[A]ll Boston's guests get what they need when they need it, and . . . they have fun getting it."
6. Unique Differentiators
- Though Boston's is a pizza restaurant and sports bar, it uniquely differentiates itself from other competitors by focusing on gourmet, housemade food.
- Boston's unique differentiator involving gourmet food is demonstrated through the fact that the restaurant brand added the word "gourmet" to its name on its website, which reads: "The Gourmet Boston's Pizza Restaurant & Sports Bar."
- Boston's uniquely differentiates itself from competitors through its long-standing history, which dates back more than 50 years. Boston's references that history through its slogan that states "taste the history in our crust."
- Boston's uniquely differentiates itself from competitors through its "signature ingredient — its famous, made-from-scratch dough."
- Boston's uniquely differentiates itself from competitors through its housemade food. Most of the 80+ food items on the menu are housemade.
7. Target Market
8. Recent Marketing Campaigns
- A recent digital marketing campaign that Boston's ran was unnamed, but featured quotes about pizza. The most recent example of a quote featured as part of that campaign is the following: "When you win, say pizza. When you lose, say pizza."
- A recent digital marketing campaign that Boston's ran was "Did You Know" which features a collection of random facts about food and sports.
We began our research by reviewing Boston's website, which provided us with valuable information about the brand's target market, differentiators, messaging, and locations. We identified both of Boston's digital marketing campaigns by reviewing its Facebook and Instagram accounts. A 2019 article published by PR Newswire described Boston's business model and we cited to that source. The only employee-count data we found for Boston's pertained to the company in general. Since the company also operates in Canada and Mexico, we needed to triangulate how many of those employees are attributable to the U.S. We did so by equating the total number of employees to the total number of restaurants in all three countries. Through our calculation, we then equated the number of employees to share of restaurants by country, as is explained above. Together, this research approach provided us with all the information we sought about Boston's.
[Competitive Landscape] Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar - Row 5
The required information for Beef ‘O’ Brady’s is populated in the spreadsheet and detailed below. This includes information on their business model, the number of employees, locations, cities, key positioning and messaging, unique differentiators, target market and current marketing campaigns.
- Beef ‘O’ Brady’s is a franchise of family sports pubs that provides food and a desirable atmosphere for friends and families to watch sports events.
- They feature family favorites foods such as wings, burgers, salads, pizza, along with a kids’ menu and an alcoholic bar that features liquor, beer, and wine.
- They also offer catering and delivery services.
- The restaurant focuses on providing value deals, crafting customer loyalty, and a comfortable family dining/sports watching experience.
- They operate in 150 locations across 23 states.
- Franchisees that meet requirements will need to pay certain franchise fees, royalty fees, and ad royalty fees. They are not allowed to set their own prices.
- Franchisees receive corporate support and benefits in purchasing, regional marketing, advertising, telephone and online support, digital initiatives such as the website, social media, and loyalty programs.
- The firm offers financial assistance to help franchisees cover some fees, startup costs, equipment, inventory, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- CapitalSpring recently invested and injected capital in the firm. This allowed them to buy back and operate 26 stores.
- This effort allowed the company to perform experiments on their own restaurants and replicate successes to its franchisees, such as sales increments from restaurant renovation efforts, new tech, kitchen upgrades, separate lunch menu, and delivery.
Employees, Restaurants, and States Operated
- The company lists that it hires 5,001-10,000 employees on its Linkedin page. It is estimated that employees operating the restaurant alone makes up 3,000-4,500 employees.
- The latest news endorsed by the company dated September 2019 mentions 150 operating restaurants, including 26 units are company-run.
- The brand operates in 23 states, including Florida, Texas, Ohio, Minnesota, Idaho, Montana, Indiana, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee.
Key Positioning and Messaging
- The brand’s tagline is “Where Game Time meets Family Time. Good Food. Good Sports.” The brand consistently talks about good food, sports, and a comfortable atmosphere.
- Their “about us” sections narrate their roots as a family-friendly Irish pub from Florida.
- The brand is described as “strongly dedicated to community involvement” and partners with local schools, youth sports leagues, and other community groups.
- Aside from the organization announcements, their official social media and news releases consistently feature stories about their community efforts, food during sports events, vacations, and food deals.
- Their CEO believes that they can differentiate from the competition by creating a niche that delivers “all day, everyday value (deals)”.
- He sees that other chains have lost focus on delivering value when trying to appeal to the new customer base.
- Contrary to other chains that only create offers intermittently, they offer valuable deals every day of the week, on top of additional promotions throughout the year.
- Daily deals are seen to be the foundation of their brand promise and continued focused in this area will help them differentiate from other firms that continue to take price.
- They also believe in differentiation by being "sports and family orientated" by offering party rooms and catering that some competitors do not.
- Beef ‘O’ Brady’s core customers are friends and families looking for a place to watch sporting events and eat.
- This ranges from kids to adults that consume alcohol.
- They are described as “price-conscious” and prefer “good deals”.
- They prefer franchisees that "have financial resources, some business acumen, is willing to listen and learn, and have outgoing personalities".
Recent Marketing Campaigns
- Daily deals have been the foundation of the brand’s marketing campaigns for years. These promote and feature different foods from Monday to Friday. They plan to add weekend deals soon.
- Also, they launched another value platform that includes a “2 for $20” promotion that includes a starter and two entrees for $20, including coupon drop last year.
- They feature TV commercials for both campaigns on their website and YouTube channel.
Almost all articles cited in the research are featured in Beef ‘O’ Brady’s official website. We estimate the total restaurant employees using the figures between 20-30 employees required per location multiplied by the number of locations, 20 employees x 150 locations = 3,000 employees and 30 employees x 150 locations = 4,500 employees. As per given instructions, information for states operated by the firm were given instead of individual cities, as there are over 10 cities involved.
[Competitive Landscape] Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar - Row 6
Old Chicago Pizza and Tap Room is a franchise restaurant that has around 200 locations across 24 states. The restaurant's service offering primarily consists of craft beer and food. All the research findings have been detailed on row 6 of the attached spreadsheet.
- Old Chicago Pizza and Tap Room has more than 200 restaurants and 11 unique brands. The restaurants are distributed across 24 states in the country.
- The restaurants serve a variety of on tap craft beer and food that includes pizza, salads, wings, starters, calzone, pasta, burgers, sandwiches, soups, and deserts.
- Since it was founded in 1976, Old Chicago Pizza and Tap Room has sold over 46 million pizzas in its restaurants.
- The restaurant's business model focuses on the concept of franchising. This is the reason why the restaurant planned to open 10 new locations in 2019.
- Old Chicago's target market comprises of friends that want to reconnect and celebrate with each other and families. The family aspect is especially evident from the inclusion of a kid's menu in the restaurant's general menu.
[Competitive Landscape] Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar - Row 7
Buffalo Wings and Rings offer ultimate sports experience in its restaurants and the ability for customers to watch multiple games. The company has an estimate of 300 employees and is in 80 locations worldwide. The required information has been populated in the attached spreadsheet.
- Buffalo Wings and Rings offer an ultimate sports experience in its restaurants. It also has chef-inspired recipes. Their food is fresh and made on the premises.
- The company's restaurants offer online ordering and catering in some restaurants.
- In 2018 Buffalo Wings and Rings announced “one franchise fee for life", expansion strategy and hoped to add 30 restaurants in Michigan.
- Buffalo Wings and Rings offer customers the ability to watch multiple games on different TVs.
- The company has an estimate of 300 employees
- The company has restaurants in 80 locations. Of these 56 are in the US and 24 international.
- Buffalo Wings and Rings is present in California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Texas
Key Positioning & Messaging
- The company's tagline is "...sports restaurant experience that goes way beyond just buffalo wings". Buffalo Wings and Rings is positioned as restaurants offering ultimate sports dining experience with fresh meals that are not frozen.
- Buffalo Wings and Rings is well-positioned with people aged between 30 and 55. "Buffalo Wings and Rings differentiates itself as sports restaurant that offers fresh meals that are not frozen".
- It also differentiates itself by its history (from 1984) of signature wings and hands-on approach on flavor and food.
- Buffalo Wings and Rings differentiates itself from competitors by offering personalized wing orders that are made in-house.
- The company differentiates itself by its celebrated customer service.
- The company targets families and people aged 30 to 55 years old
Current Marketing Campaigns.
- Here is the link to the campaign.
- The "Buffalo Sauciety" aims to persuade customers to download the company's app. Customers are rewarded when they make an order and after joining.
- Here is the link to the campaign.
Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar - Agency of Record
Agency of Record — SASSO
- In this 30 second campaign, the staff of Walk-On's are starting their shift, and to encourage them to have a good one, they are given a pep-talk similar to the one a soccer team hears just before running out on the field. In the ad, the Walk-On's team is encouraged to "make some noise" at which point they do the rumble on the tables and any surface within their reach. They are then asked by the team leader, "Who are we? What do we do?" The team responds, "Walk-On's" and "win."
- The video ad then moves to a shot of a kitchen staff getting dressed in kitchen gear and their attire is branded with Walk-On's at the front and the words "we don't play" at the back. The video ends with these words "everyone desires a little play time." The ad was enhanced by the use of images from the video and has been placed on all the social pages as well as the company's website.
- The video ad is promoted on Walk-On's Facebook page and was recently aired on ESPN2. It has had 14 national airings. The tagline used for this campaign is "Game Day With a Taste of Louisiana."
Starts from Scratch
- "Starts from Scratch" is a campaign created in 2017 by SASSO. The 30-second ad starts with a picture of one of the Walk-On's locations and the narrator gives the welcome noting that at Walk-On's, everything starts from scratch. That is, the ingredients are fresh, the cuisine is mouth-watering, and flavors are unique.
- The ad highlights Walk-On's as a place for food, fun, friends, and family where patrons get a taste of Louisiana, especially on game day. Similar to how it was done with 'The Rumble', photos and images have been used to depict aspects of the video. These images are found on Facebook and the company's website.
- The ad has been aired on ESPN2 during College Football. It is also on Facebook and Walk-On's website.