Hourly Wages by State - 2019
The hourly-wage-by-state statistics for the year 2019 have been populated in the designated cells of the attached spreadsheet. Since the official Bureau of Labor Statistics was not available, alternative estimates using data from the United States Census Bureau’s Annual ASEC survey have been provided.
Summary of Findings
- The average hourly wage in Arkansas for the year 2019 was $24.53.
- The average hourly wage in Iowa for the year 2019 was $26.61.
- The average hourly wage in Wyoming for the year 2019 was $27.38.
- The average hourly wage in California for the year 2019 was $32.23.
- The average hourly wage in Maine for the year 2019 was $25.09.
The official U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data, regarding the average hourly-wage-by-state for workers in 2019, was not available. The data is scheduled to be published on the 31st of March 2020. In the absence of the official data, we looked for alternative sources to supply the required data. We found the detailed estimates of annual income for the year 2019 for each state during our research. The data was estimated from the United States Census Bureau’s Annual ASEC survey, corroborated by microdata from the University of Minnesota. The hourly-wage-by-state for 2019 was calculated using this data.
The annual income for each state was divided by the average annual hours found in the spreadsheet to find the average hourly wages. The general formula used is
- State: (Average Individual Income)÷(Average Annual Hours) = (Average Hourly Wage)
- An example of this calculation would be: Alabama: ($50,286.94)÷(1945) = $25.85