Both post-booking pre-trip customer communications and on-trip communications with VRBO are done via email, phone, and the company's website. Many customers Have complained about the quality of communication between them and VRBO or the hosts.
POST-BOOKING PRE-TRIP COMMUNICATION
- Based on customer reviews, it appears that customers are able to make contact with the company after a booking has been made but in the case of someone requesting a cancellation, this may not be forthcoming as one customer complained of not being able to access a refund due to the company's policy even though it was requested six and a half months before the date of booking.
- After a booking is made with a property, it appears that cancellations on the part of the property owner are done via email from VRBO which may not have any information pertaining to reasons for cancellations.
- Several customers have complained about receiving what appears to be an official email from VRBO regarding their booking or down payment which in some cases turned out to be alleged scams.
- One homeowner confirmed the issue of a disconnect in communication "between VRBO, the owner of the property, and the potential renter".
- Instructions for checking in are provided in welcome emails.
- Customers have access to clickable maps which can assist them in finding directions to the homes they've rented.
- Some homeowners are flexible in setting a check-in time that's suitable for customers, for example, if the customer wishes to check-in early.
- Homeowners are able to cancel customers' reservation on the day of check-in, rent to other customers, refuse to refund customers and VRBO doesn't provide the support promised.
- Homeowners are expected to make contact with renters to provide check-in details before their arrival date but if not, renters are recommended to make contact using "My trips" to access the homeowners' contact information.
- If this fails, making contact with VRBO's customer support team is the next option but they will only email the homeowner 2 weeks before the arrival date and/or within 24 hours of the arrival date.
- Making contact for checking details seem to be heavily weighted on the customer.
EASE OF COMMUNICATION
- Guests are usually greeted with a welcome email 2 hours after booking a property and this email provides additional information about the location, rental, and writing reviews.
- Post-booking pre-trip contact is made via email or toll-free.
- The customer support team is available 24/7 and the website is made mobile-friendly so it is easy to make contact ready using their platform.
- Homeowners are using software to organize their scheduling and communication with guests.
- VRBO offers emergency re-booking assistance to customers without an additional charge.
- The company provides a secured channel to communicate with homeowners and to wire funds using its platform and travelers are advised not to make transactions outside of the VRBO's marketplace to ensure privacy and security.
- Customers who are looking to rent properties near the beach may ask homeowners about the availability of beach chairs, umbrellas, bicycle storage, parking, and supply of towels and/or sheets.
- More general questions may be about security, rooms, play area for children, Wi-Fi access, pets, and check-in as well as check out times.
- On-trip offline communication is done with traveler support but is seemingly problematic due to outsourced customer service, language barriers, reluctance to allow customers to speak directly to a supervisor.
- One customer experienced difficulty in getting back their deposit because the contact information was difficult to find and VRBO gave the run-around.
- Another customer complained that the property rented was nothing like that which was advertised and VRBO, when contacted, denied having knowledge of same but requested contact information from customers and a detailed account of what transpired.
EASE OF COMMUNICATION
- The customer support team is available 24/7 and the website is made mobile-friendly so it is easy to make contact ready should an issue arise using their platform.
- Clickable maps are available on VRBO's website, which can help guests to find places of interest nearby.
SECURITY AND CHECK-OUT
- If there has been a display of misconduct by the homeowner, VRBO pledges to provide rebooking support and to carry out an investigation once the customer makes a report.
- Some homeowners are flexible in setting a check-out time that's suitable for customers, for example, if the customer wishes to check-out late; this could be arranged.
- Instructions for checking out are provided in welcome emails.