Volvo Cars Of Canada; Marketing Initiatives/Efforts
Volvo Car Canada's recent advertising campaigns with LinkedIn and Extraordinary Man highlight the auto retailer's efforts to create brand awareness and generate new leads by targeting specific customer groups through the strategic deployment of marketing messages.
Targeted Advertising through LinkedIn
- As early as 2018, Volvo Car Canada partnered with LinkedIn to launch a targeted advertising campaign through the social media site's variety of marketing tools, including Video Ads, Sponsored Content, and Carousel Ads.
- Specifically, Volvo Car Canada worked with LinkedIn to deliver ads to potentially desirable customers, who Volvo and the social media site identified through geography and career attributes, such as job seniority.
- Notably, the primary objective for the advertising campaign was to create engagement and awareness around the brand, as well as to drive onsite lead conversion in certain cases.
- In particular, Volvo Car Canada relied heavily on the circulation of positive articles from third-parties, which helped validate Volvo's features, technology and design.
- Additionally, the advertising campaign emphasized the use of LinkedIn's Carousel Ads, given that this tool allowed Volvo Car Canada to tell a more visual story about its brand.
- Ultimately, the marketing effort was deemed a success, which delivered on Volvo Car Canada's objectives of creating awareness as well as generating new onsite leads.
- In particular, Volvo Car Canada asserted that response rates from the campaign were "three times higher" than standard media approaches, in some cases, and that the Carousel Ads achieved a 75% increase in click-through rate versus more traditional static posts.
Partnership with Extraordinary Man
- This past June of 2019, Volvo Car Canada launched a regional promotion program in partnership with Extraordinary Man, a British Columbia-based subscription box company under parent company Simply Beautiful Box.
- Notably, the advertising campaign followed Volvo's international launch of its new Care by Volvo car subscription product last year.
- Specifically, Volvo Car Canada announced a more market-specific promotional effort that would advertise the Care by Volvo product in Canada, first by using the Extraordinary Man sales channel, and second by launching social and influencer promotions in partnership with Simply Beautiful.
- In particular, Volvo Car Canada looked to use this partnership with Extraordinary Man to target customers who were already participating in subscription-type services, and thereby generate both awareness and leads for the new Care by Volvo subscription product.
- Additionally, the auto retailer looked to capitalize on the fact that Extraordinary Man is "extremely popular," essentially transferring brand appeal to the Care by Volvo service.
- However, this marketing campaign has appeared to yield little in terms of concrete or measurable results to date, with only two notable media outlets covering the new product partnership, both via online and social channels.
- However, a review of Volvo Car Canada's social accounts on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, as well as a similar analysis of Simply Beautiful's online presence (e.g., website, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) highlights no significant mentions of the new Extraordinary Man partnership with Volvo, and suggests that outcomes from the marketing campaign have yet to benefit from the full suite of planned influencer and social media investments.