Video Game Companies Experimenting with NFTs
Six video game companies that have experimented with non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are Animoca Brands, Atari, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Simplicity Esports and Gaming Company, and Square Enix. These companies hold the IP for games such as Crazy Kings, Pong, Pac Man, Resident Evil, and Final Fantasy. Ventures into NFTs include the development of fashion tokens, the sale of IP related tokens, and the creation of NFTs.
- Animoca Brands develops tokens, games, and products for intellectual properties such as Marvel and WWE. The company operates in the artificial intelligence (AI), blockchain, digital entertainment, and gamification industries. Original games from Animoca are The Sandbox, Crazy Kings, and Crazy Defense Heroes.
- The Sandbox, a subsidiary of Animoca Brands, is a platform for the gaming community that enables users to monetize assets and experiences on the blockchain. Originally developed for mobile, the game was introduced to the blockchain ecosystem in 2018.
- In the Sandbox, players can "build, own, and monetize" their experiences with the game using NFTs. The NFTs can be uploaded and sold in the marketplace, as well as be integrated into game with #nocode Game Maker.
- In April 2021, Animoca Brands also sold two NFTs for its blockchain games F1 Delta Time and The Sandbox for US$9.28 million. The sale comprised 300 Epic tier segments for six official Formula 1 events, along with the proceeds of the sale and auction of land and estates in The Sandbox.
- Atari was founded in 1972 and is a provider of arcade and home video games, and home computers. In April 2021, the company announced the creation of the Atari Gaming and Atari Blockchain divisions. Atari Gaming will oversee games, licensing and Atari VCS, while Atari Blockchain will oversee the operation of the Atari Token and seek out opportunities in NFTs, blockchain, and the online world.
- Among the projects that Atari is involved in regarding NFTs are NFTs for purchase from Pong and Centipede, a partnership with Decentraland to build and operate an Atari Casino that accepts the Atari cryptocurrency, and Atari assets are present in theme parks in The Sandbox.
- NFTs for purchase from the Centipede and Pong were sold for approximately $92,000 in April 2021.
- Bandai Namco is a game developer and publisher from Japan, that operates in several countries. The company is a holder of IP for the Idolmaster, Pac Man, Dragon Ball Z, and Tekken properties.
- In November 2020, Bandai Namco invested $3 million in Genies. The Genies project creates personalized "avatars with tokenized fashion."
- Managing Director Nao Udagawa, joined executives from Sony, Microsoft, and Google on the panel to select the best NFT of 2020.
- Capcom is a manufacturer and distributor of gaming machines, technology, and software. Games published by Capcom include Dead Rising, Mega Man, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter.
- In February 2021, Capcom launched several Street Fighter II NFTs on the WAX blockchain. Characters included in the sale are E.Honda, Ryu, Chun-Li, Nash, Ken, Blaka, Dhalsim, and F.A.N.G.
Simplicity Esports and Gaming Company
- Simplicity Esports and Gaming Company was founded in 2017 and is represented by the Simplicity Esports Apex and Heroes of the Storm teams. To date the company has won three trophies and earned over $100,000.
- In March 2021, Simplicity entered into a partnership with the UCF Blockchain Innovation Lab and Project Tokan to develop NFTs for the Esports and Gaming industry.
- President of Simplicity Esports Roman Franklin, expects a "huge opportunity" for NFTs to provide an efficient and secure infrastructure for esports and gaming.
- Square Enix is a game developer and publisher of games such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, and Space Invaders.
- On 17 March 2021, the company announced that it would be partnering with Double Jump Tokyo to sell NFTs for its Million Arthur series. The NFTs are to be made available for summer 2021.
- The company has stated that its intent behind the involvement in NFTs is to "stimulate in-game communication," create new digital content, and construct a new business model.