Video Conferencing App Reviews
The requested information on Zoom, Google Hangouts, Apple FaceTime, Skype , GoToMeeting, Microsoft Teams, Facebook Messenger (and FB Messenger Kids), WhatsApp, House party, Signal (open source), Discord, Jitsi (open source) , BlueJeans , Doxy.me, and Cisco Webex has been entered into this spreadsheet. Most of the services or solutions listed in the spreadsheet have end-to-end encryption.
- Zoom allows users to utilize password-protection for calls. It does bug fixes on its app monthly.
- Apple FaceTime was designed using end-to-end encryption. Security updates are done on its app twice a year.
- WhatsApp has end-to-end encryption. On its app, security updates are done two to three times a month.
- Houseparty does not have or use any form of encryption. Security updates are done on its app twice a month.
- Jitsi uses hop-by-hop encryption. It does security updates on its app at least twice a year.
Please note that despite thorough research, we were unable to find any mention or list of their backend servers. We also attempted uses databases like Built With and Net Craft to find the technologies or backend servers they use for their websites versus their apps. However, these platforms only provided the servers or technologies they use on their websites. There was no database we could find that offers the same information for apps. This made it difficult to compare the servers they use and determine if the ones used on their web portals are different from the ones used for their apps.