Navistar - Vehicle Technology
Navistar positions its OnCommand Connection and OnCommand Connection Suite as a leader and the first and only in the market. Its messaging emphasizes versatility, ease of use, and comprehensive solutions. It has specific messaging for the school bus and highway vehicle markets.
MARKETING MESSAGING AND COMMUNICATION
- Navistar advertises its On Command Connection Suite to be the first to have an open data architecture system that works with all telematics systems, the first and only to offer a system available from various device interfaces, and the first and only system that works with any kind of vehicle or make.
- Navistar has emphasized the importance of "uptime" in advertising for its overall business.
- For both OnCommand Connection and OnCommand Connection Suite, Navistar talks about its product in terms of cost savings (tow and annual repair costs) and profit maximization resulting in increased uptime.
- With respect to annual repair costs, it provides customer testimonials and advertises itself as developing solutions based on listening to customers.
- In 2015, Navistar advertised using LinkedIn, Facebook, and other social media channels, and ads in Commercial Carrier Journal, Fleet Owner and Transport Topics, which included its software offerings. Since 2015, Navistar announced its customer-centric Vision 2025 campaign in 2019 for its overall business, where it announced it had exited "survival mode".
- In 2020, Volkswagen offered to purchase the rest of Navistar for $2.9 billion.
- Navistar markets to the truck-buying and commercial carrier industry.
- Navistar brands to the school bus market audience by touting ability for driver oversight, regulation compliance, increased vehicle safety, and frequency of updates and real-time communication. It also offers school bus WiFi as a product offering.
- In regard to highway vehicles, the company touts itself as " the only truck OEM that has built and supports its own telematics solution," also citing "the important role OnCommand Connection services are playing in enabling fleets to convert reactive vehicle maintenance into predictive maintenance for improved uptime."
- For its product, Navistar partnered with International Trucks to offer its software on all new on-highway International trucks, with two free years of service included. Its software is on an estimated 160k international vehicles.
Information on how Navistar communicates, markets, and targets its technical software/computing hardware on commercial vehicles was obtained by researching Navistar's website, with an exclusive focus on OnCommand Connection and OnCommand Connection Suite. For verification, identified central marketing and targeting themes were cross-checked against articles on Navistar and its ad campaigns in industry publication websites. Ad campaigns were searched for in industry publications and search tools were narrowed to prioritize recent results, but recent results on marketing channels could not be found. This period coincided with the company revealing in 2019 that it had exited survival mode. The number of OnCommand Connection International vehicles was calculated by taking 40% of 400,000 vehicles. Multiple searches were attempted for advertising and targeting for agriculture and mining marketing, but could not be verified.