VC Investments Part I
The Venture Capital investments made by Nomura Securities, Asset Management One and Mitsui from 2017-2019 are Boxed, Omise, MM Capital Partners, GOQii, SmartE, Minh Phu Seafood, TriNetX, and Fictiv. More information about each initiative is presented below.
- 1) Boxed
- 2) Omise
- Tokyo-headquartered Nomura Holdings, the parent company of Nomura Securities, has invested an undisclosed amount to Thailand-based fintech service provider Omise Holdings last July 2019.
- The fund will be used by Omise to scale their operations to multiple verticals such as blockchain technology, payments, and digital asset exchanges.
Asset Management One
- 1) MM Capital Partners
- In November 2018, Marubeni, Mizuho Bank and Asset Management One has joined up and invested for the formation of MM Capital Partners, where Marubeni will have 90% stake, and both Mizuho Bank and Asset Management One will have 5% stakes.
- MM Capital Partners will now manage the MM Capital Infrastructure Fund 1 L.P., which was formed in January 2019.
Mitsui & Co.
- 1) GOQii
- 2) SmartE
- 3) Minh Phu Seafood
- 4) TriNetX
- 5) Fictiv
- 6) Tonik Energy
- Mitsui & Co. was the lead investor of the Series A funding round by Tonik Energy for raising a £13 Million investment in February 2019.
- Tonik Energy will use this fund for the acceleration of their integrated strategy of combining renewable and energy-saving technologies with affordable energy supply.
- 7) Yellow Door Energy
- Mitsui & Co., together with other investors such as International Finance Corporation (IFC), Equinor Energy Ventures (Equinor), Arab Petroleum Investments Corporation (APICORP), and UAE-based Adenium Energy Capital (Adenium), helped raise $65 million in the Series A funding round of Yellow Door Energy, a UAE-based leading solar developer, in January 2019.
- Yellow Door Energy will use this fund to help them in scaling their solar energy and energy efficiency solutions investments in the Middle East and Africa.
- 8) NapaJen Pharma
- Lead investor INCJ, Ltd., together with other existing investors Mitsui & Co., and new participant investor P&E Directions Inc., helped raise $12.4 million Series C funding round for NapaJen Pharma Inc. in January 2019.
- NapaJen Pharma Inc. will use this fund for completing the Phase 1 clinical development of NJA-730 started in the autumn of 2018 in Australia, and for further development.
- 9) Ridecell
- San Francisco-based startup Ridecell was able to raise their $28 million Series B round, which was extended to over $60 million, with the help of investors such as Mitsui & Co., Activate Capital, ERGO Corporate Venture Fund, Cox Automotive, Initialized Capital, Denso, Penske, Deutsche Bahn, LG Technology Ventures, BNP Paribas, Ally Ventures, Sony Innovation Fund, and Khosla Ventures.
- Ridecell will use their funds for developing their current mobility and operations platform.
We first researched the venture capital investments made by Nomura Securities, Asset Management One, and Mitsui & Co. within the past 24 months by using their company website as the most credible sources of information to directly address the client's request. We searched for articles or news from the news, press release or media pages of their company websites from 2017 up to 2019. However, we didn't find any venture capital investments by the three assigned companies. We only found press releases and articles about direct investments by Nomura Securities, Asset Management One, and Mitsui & Co. and not venture capital investments, which aren't relevant. We also found out from Asset Management One's company website that they were only formed last 2016 as an integration of Asset Management companies. We also tried each company's annual reports for 2017 and 2018, however, we still didn't find any relevant information about the three companies' venture capital investments.
We then changed strategy by trying to research startups, investors and company information sources such as AngelList and Crunchbase, among others. We found relevant information for venture capital investments of Nomura Securities and Mitsui & Co. Using the Glossary of Funding Types by Crunchbase, we were able to identify VC investments. For Nomura Securities, there were only the Venture Round for Omise for an undisclosed amount in 2019, and Series D for Boxed worth $111 Million in 2018, which fits the criteria of the past 24 months from 2017-2019. For Mitsui & Co., we found nine venture capital investments from November 13, 2018, to July 22, 2019, in Crunchbase. Crunchbase only shows 10 lists of recent investments for free and needs a Crunchbase Pro account to show more than that. We then added the link of Mitsui & Co. Crunchbase profile for client's option to access an additional list of investments. We did not find any Asset Management One profile or investments from both Crunchbase and AngelList.
In order to research for Asset Management One's venture capital investments from 2017-2019, and additional VC investments of Nomura Securities and Mitsui & Co. within the 2017-2019 timeframe, we researched and used press release aggregators such as PRNewswire, Business Wire, and Globe Newswire, among others; media sources such as Houston Chronicle; and trade industry publication and sources such as Undercurrent News, Deal Street Asia, TechCrunch, and YourStory, among others. We were able to find one venture capital investment of Asset Management One from the periods of 2017-2019, and no additional VC investments for both Nomura Securities and Mitsui & Co. were found.