Utility Account Holders - Atlanta
Data for the number of unique utility accounts in Atlanta, Georgia has been collected from Georgia Power, Georgia natural Gas, Gas South, SCANA Energy, Commerce Energy, Infinite Energy, and the City of Atanta's Watershed department. Additionally, data on the number of residential and commercial buildings has been evaluated. The research below provides a complete look at these results.
- The population of Atlanta is 463,878 (61.3% of the county's population, 7.7% of the metro population, 4.4% of the state's population)
- The metro area of Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA has a population of 5,949,951
- Dekalb County (in which Atlanta lies) has a population of 756,558 (7% of the state's population)
- The population of the state of Georgia is 10,627,767.
- The population density of 630 people per square mile or 243 per square kilometer.
- The homeowner ratio in Atlanta is 43.4%.
- The average household size is 2.24
GENERAL UTILITY DATA
According to data for new residents in Atlanta, the following companies provide utilities in Atlanta:
- Power — Georgia Power
- Natural Gas — Georgia Natural Gas, Gas South, SCANA Energy, Commerce Energy, and Infinite Energy
- Water/Sewer/Waste Removal — City of Atlanta
Georgia Power provides electricity to 2.3 million customers in 155 of 159 counties in Georgia. The company's annual reports to do not segment their customer data on a city level but does state the following data from the 2018 filing:
- 2,553,123 total customers as of December 31, 2018
- Of those, 39% are residential customers, 36% are commercial accounts, 16% are industrial, 2% are wholesale customers, and 7% are classified as other types of accounts.
- Total number of Georgia Power customers in DeKalb County — 325,406
Based on these figures and from the population statistics, the following data can be assumed as Georgia Power is the sole power provider for the city of Atlanta:
- It can be estimated that the number of Georgia Power customers in Atlanta is between 112,337 (2,553,123*4.4%) and 199,474 (325,406*61.3%).
Annual reports from each of the natural gas providers in Atlanta were reviewed, as well as data from the Municipal Gas Authority of Georgia. None of these reports provide any segmentation of the number of accounts on a city wide level. Statewide data on the number of natural gas accounts is available for review via the American Gas Association, these figures are presented below with assumptive data explained thereafter.
- Total GA Natural Gas Customers = 1,931,640
- Total GA Residential Natural Gas Customers = 1,804,749 (93.4% of total customers)
- Total GA Commercial Natural Gas Customers = 124,314 (6.43% of total customers)
- Total GA Industrial Natural Gas Customers = 2,577 (less than 1% of total customers)
Assumptive and Triangulated Data
- It can be assumed that if 4.4% of the state's residents live in Atalanta, there are likely approximately 79,409 residential natural gas customers within the city (1,804,749 * 4.4%) and approximately 5,470 commercial accounts.
- Watershed Management states that they have approximately 1.2 million customers in the Atlanta metro area which covers the city limits, the unincorporated areas of south Fulton County, College Park, Hapeville, East Point, Sandy Springs and Chattahoochee Hills, as well as wholesale customers in Clayton, DeKalb and Fulton counties.
- It can be assumed that approximately 92,400 of these accounts are within the city limits of Atlanta (1,200,000*7.7%)
SOLID WASTE REMOVAL
- The city of Atlanta bills for solid waste collection and disposal, recycling and street maintenance for residential and only street maintenance for commercial accounts.
- It can be assumed that City of Atlanta only bills households, which based on census data, would be less than 185,142 accounts.
NUMBER OF BUILDINGS
- Total Housing Units — 224,573
- Number of Occupied Households — 185,142
- Number of Single Dwelling Units — 104,639
- Based on data from American Fact Finder from the US Census Bureau, there are approximately 22,543 business establishments in Atlanta, GA.