Customer Journey - Dental Implants
When considering dental implants, customers perform research to determine their own eligibility and gain insights surrounding side effects and recovery. Customers commonly ask about the cost and the effectiveness of the procedure. At the same time, there is little interest in the dental implant technology itself. Consultation is considered the most important step leading to the procedure.
WHY DO PEOPLE GET DENTAL IMPLANTS?
- The primary reason people decide to get dental implants is tooth loss.
- According to the American Academy of Dentistry, dental implants are popular among customers due to their resemblance of real teeth, as well as high functionality.
- In case the customer is unable to wear dentures, dental implants are often used as an alternative.
- Because of their ease and low cost, dentures are widely regarded as a solution for missing teeth. There is, however, a downside: over time, gums change. This causes dentures to feel unpleasant and creates a need to replace them every 5-10 years. Because of this downside, implants seem like a better option to some customers. Implants generally last a life-time when implemented
- Dental implants can be used to restructure the face in case of facial tissue or muscle transformation caused by a disease or trauma. In severe cases, implants can be used to anchor facial prosthetics
- In addition, dental implants can be used when a person has as much as one damaged tooth.
HOW DO CUSTOMERS PERFORM THEIR RESEARCH AND WHAT ARE THEIR CONCERNS?
- According to Monet Aesthetic Dentistry, before going in for a consultation, customers are expected to inform themselves about eligibility. Also, customers should prepare questions for the dentist during the consultation
- According to the Mint Hill Dentistry, customers getting an implant should inform themselves about the following topics:  characteristics of the company providing the implant,  the size of the implant,  experience level of the personnel,  the cost of the procedure and what it covers,  if digital imagery is used as part of the procedure and  whether sedation will be used during the surgery.
- The American Academy of Implant Dentistry advises customers to inform themselves about the following topics:  the role of dental implants,  the possibility of bodily rejection,  the noticeability of the implant,  the implant's durability,  any special treatments and  the duration and pain level of the recovery process.
- The most common inquiries surrounding implants among customers are:  reasons why other customers have decided to use implants,  who the renowned and reliable dentists are,  safety of the implants,  whether children are also suitable for the implants and  the cleaning process.
- When observing the frequently asked questions, it is noticeable that the most questions are asked surrounding the process leading to the procedure, the time the process takes and the level of pain that is involved. Customer research mainly focuses on the benefits of the process, the recovery process and the possible side effects. Among the popular questions are also questions about implant rejection, the associated risks and the importance of hygiene.
- Fewer questions are asked about the technology of the dental implants and the manufacturers.
HOW DO CUSTOMERS DECIDE TO GET DENTAL IMPLANTS?
- Before the actual implantation process, customers go through a consultation with a dentist
- Consultation is the crucial step for exploring your options, understanding the procedure, receiving additional care tips and exploring payment options. Among customers, the consultation is considered a "non-invasive meeting" with the dental care provider to discuss concerns and treatment options.
- During a consultation, the dentist evaluates the patients' current oral health status, takes digital images and inquires about the patients' health history.
- The dentist comes up with a treatment plan, which consists of the procedure steps, the required time frame as well as an idea of what the recovery will look like for the patient.
- The consultation helps the dentist decide if the patient is suitable for the implant. This way, patients gain final and the most important insights and get ready for the procedure.
- Experts advise everyone who is considering an implant to consult a dentist.
To answer the query, the research team delved into various expert blog websites, dental advice sources, dental hospital publications and the American Academy of Implant Dentistry. By examining the most frequently asked questions that surround dental implants, we've paid attention to topics that didn't come up, which we've noted as less common question topics.
To provide information on how and where customers obtain information surrounding dental implants, the team relied on statements from dentists and their advice to customers surrounding the procedure. It is worth noting here that, throughout the research, we've relied on an assumption that customers are most likely to follow advice from dentists and professionals.