University of South Dakota - Outreach Initiatives
The four outreach initiatives held by the USD's online channels are SD Kids Count, the Oyate Circle, Community Outreach, and Students Understanding Sustainable Tactics.
Students Understanding Sustainable Tactics (SUST)
- SUST, in association with the Vermillion community, aims to educate the public on how to live sustainably.
- They host events and accept donations.
- A small group of students is involved in this initiative.
- Oyate Circle aims to serve native Americans with disabilities in South Dakota.
- They provide "how-to" handbook to native Americans.
- Oyate means 'the people' in Dakota's native-tribe language.
- Oyate Circle is led by a native American tribal member Jim Warne.
South Dakota Kids Count
- South Dakota Kids Count functions under the guidance of Beacom School of Business.
- SDKC's goal is to provide accurate data to the South Dakotan's community about the children activities, doings, statistics, etc.
- It publishes annual Facebook posts, quarterly issue briefs, and reports throughout the year.
- On the last Wednesday of each month, called the Wellness Days, USD partners with different organizations to offer free wellness service. On each Wednesday, the service varies.
- These services are available for the public, USD students, and current members.
- On Take-Away-Tuesdays, the community is allowed to explore the eight dimensions of wellness.