UK Guardrail Market
The market size, measured by revenue, of the guardrail systems industry in the United Kingdom, is approximately $151.8 million.
SUMMARY OF FINDINGS
- The market size of the UK guardrail industry is approximately $151.8 million.
- The size of the standard guardrail market is roughly $112.21 million, and that of the bespoke guardrail market is about $39.61 million.
- Jacksons Fencing, Varley & Gulliver, and AUTOPA are the key players in the standard guardrail market. Each holds approximately 56%, 8.84%, and 5.27% of the UK guardrail market, respectively.
- Fabrikat (Nottingham), Architectural Street Furnishings, and Alpha Rail are the leading manufacturers of bespoke guardrail systems in the UK. Each holds about 10.59%, 9.22%, and 5.62% of the UK guardrail market, respectively.
The research team's approach to determining the UK guardrail market was to review reliable media sites and market research databases such as Allied Market Research, MarketWatch, Business Wire, PR Newswire, Transparency Market Research, Markets and Markets, etc. We found some paywalled resources providing information on the global guardrail system market, but UK (or Europe) specific data was not unavailable. Our second approach was to triangulate the market size of the industry by identifying the leading players and analyzing their revenues arising from the sale of guardrails. Although we found a list of thirty-two of the best brands in the industry, arranged in no particular order, it's challenging trying to figure what share of each company's revenue corresponded to a particular product. Despite this limitation, the team managed to obtain useful metrics that helped us to calculate the answer as follows.
Defining BS 7818
- The BS 7818 is the standard that relates to pedestrian guardrails systems. It "specifies the requirements for pedestrian and other non-vehicle user restraint systems in metal for use on roads and highways."
Top Ten Players By Revenue
- ESI External Works UK delivers competitive insights into "the best solutions for landscaping and civil engineering projects from leading UK brands." It features a list of the leading manufacturers of guardrails in the United Kingdom. This list was used in rankig the top ten players by revenues in the UK guardrails market as follows.
1) Jacksons Fencing
- Jacksons Fencing manufactures standard guardrails for highway applications. The pedestrian guardrails "provide an effective roadside barrier for pedestrians while allowing good visibility from a motorist's viewpoint."
- The company generates revenue of approximately $85 million.
2) Fabrikat (Nottingham)
- Fabrikat manufactures standard guardrails, available in various sizes and finishes. Additionally, the brand also delivers bespoke guardrails. According to the official website, "we’ve been able to help lots of customers design their own unique guardrail systems."
- The company's revenue was £11.978 million ($16.08 million) in 2019.
3) Architectural Street Furnishings
- Architectural Street Furnishings "manufacture standard range pedestrian guardrails, as well as completely bespoke options."
- The estimated annual revenue is $14 million.
4) Varley & Gulliver
- Varley & Gulliver manufacturers and supplies standard guardrails. The guardrails are available in aluminum or steel.
- The estimated annual revenue is £10 million ($13.42 million).
5) Alpha Rail
- Alpha Rail has nearly 30 years of experience in manufacturing pedestrian guardrails, as well as bespoke options.
- The company generates revenue of approximately $8.53 million.
- AUTOPA manufactures guardrails for thoroughfares and busy junctions. The guardrails are "supplied galvanized as standard, but can be color coated as required."
- The estimated annual revenue is $8 million.
7) Bailey Streetscene
- Bailey Streetscene's guardrails come galvanized as standard.
- Its annual revenue is roughly $5 million.
8) Cole Ironcraft
- Cole Ironcraft offers standard and bespoke guardrail designs.
- The estimated annual revenue is $1 million.
9) Street Furnishings
- Street Furnishings manufacturers a variety of standard guardrails to suit every location.
- The company's annual revenue is roughly $400,000.
10) Hugh Logan Engineering
- Hugh Logan Engineering is a specialist in high visibility standard guardrail systems.
- The estimated annual revenue is $396,000.
UK Guardrail Market Size
One approach to estimating market size involves analyzing revenues generated by key players on a given market. However, a problem arises when trying to establish the revenue generated from the sale of guardrail systems. The leading players in this industry offer a broad range of various products and, therefore, it's challenging trying to figure what share of the revenue corresponds to a particular product. The process is even more difficult given that these companies are not required to file the statement of comprehensive income in the public domain — a financial report that would have enabled us to determine if the companies distinguish their revenues by product segment.
In the absence of actual figures, we will hold the assumption that the summation of the companies' estimated annual revenues is a representation of the UK's guardrails market for BS7818 guardrails.
Therefore, the size of the guardrail market in the UK is approximately $151.8 million (85+16.08+14+13.42+8.53+8+5+1+0.4+0.396).
Top 3 Players In The Standard Guardrail Market
Our findings show that six of the ten key players in the industry only manufacture standard guardrail systems. The top three by revenue and market share are as follows:
1) Jacksons Fencing - $85 million or 56% - calculated as (($85 million/$151.8 million)*100)
2) Varley & Gulliver - $13.42 million or 8.84% - calculated as (($13.42 million/$151.8 million)*100)
3) AUTOPA - $8 million or 5.27% - calculated as (($8 million/$151.8 million)*100)
Top 3 Players In The Bespoke Guardrail Market
The following companies also manufacture bespoke guardrail systems. They are triangulated as the leading manufacturers of bespoke guardrails in the UK.
1) Fabrikat (Nottingham) - $16.08 million or 10.59% - calculated as (($16.08 million/$151.8 million)*100)
2) Architectural Street Furnishings - $14 million or 9.22% - calculated as (($14 million/$151.8 million)*100)
3) Alpha Rail - $8.53 million or 5.62% - calculated as (($8.53 million/$151.8 million)*100)
Standard Guardrails Market Size
Our findings show that six of the ten key players in the industry only manufacture standard guardrail systems. We will hold the assumption that the summation of the companies' estimated annual revenues is a representation of the market size of standard guardrails in the UK.
The companies include Jacksons Fencing ($85 million), Varley & Gulliver ($13.42 million), AUTOPA ($8 million), Bailey Streetscene ($5 million), Street Furnishings ($400,000), and Hugh Logan Engineering ($396,000).
Therefore, the size of the standard guardrail market in the UK is approximately $112.21 million (85+13.42+8+5+0.4+0.396).
Bespoke Guardrails Market Size
The following companies manufacture bespoke guardrail systems in the UK - Fabrikat (Nottingham) ($16.08 million), Architectural Street Furnishings ($14 million), Alpha Rail ($8.53 million), and Cole Ironcraft ($1 million).
We will hold the assumption that the summation of the companies' estimated annual revenues is a representation of the market size of bespoke guardrails in the UK.
Therefore, the size of the standard guardrail market in the UK is approximately $39.61 million (16.08+14+8.53+1)