UHS Patients - 1
Some patients that have talked about their negative experience at Universal Health Services (UHS) are Emily Terry, Chandalar Kirby, Sydney Spencer, Kaelyn Gay, Crystal Ward, and Celia Hafner.
UHS Patients with negative experience at uhs
1. Emily Terry
- Emily Terry was 8 years old when she went into her first facility and 18 when she signed herself out of states custody.
- She has been raped, beaten, slammed up against the wall so hard that her front tooth went through her upper lip. She has had a couple of bones broken, hair pulled, and dragged.
- She said that these places do more harm than good. For some people, that is better than what they had on the outside and are okay living with all the things that go on behind locked doors. But for her, she would have rather stayed with two people who did not want and love her than to have been in the places that she grew up in.
- The abuse that she endured inside these places is far much worse than what she thinks it would have been on the outside.
- Social Media Account: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005055679405
2. Chandalar Kirby
- Chandalar Kirby was in Hill Crest behavioral hospital in 2009 and 2010. She had been strapped down and given a shot. She was worse off after she left.
- There was no hot water and she had to wear paper clothes because they would not wash her clothes when she needed them. It made her feel like she would never get out and the workers talk bad about the patient to the new ones that came in.
- Social Media Account: http://facebook.com/ckirby93
3. Sydney Spencer
- Sydney Spencer was at Hill Crest for a year and 7 months.
- She was assaulted by a nurse in a room and there were two other staff there but claims that they did not see anything. She had spoken to her DHR worker at Shelby County and they did absolutely nothing.
- Social Media Account: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014926511095
4. Kaelyn Gay
- Kaelyn Gay was at Hill Crest for 21 months the first time, and 6 months the second time.
- This place is why she had to drop out of school and get a GED.
- She was worse off now than before she was court ordered to be there. She was on 7 different medications, and she was like a zombie. She had to have staples in her head from where a staff member named Mr. Mack had “restrained” her and threw her on her bed which made her head crack against the corner and she had to go the ER.
- Social Media Account: http://facebook.com/kaelynleighann
5. Crystal Ward
- Crystal Ward spent 2 and a half years in Hill Crest.
- She said that they do overmedicate. She was on 12 different pills and one of the pills they had her on was only supposed to be on for no longer than 6 months. She was on it for over 2 years, it screwed with her stomach and she has stomach problems to this day. Then in 2014, she had a mental breakdown where she overstressed and lost a lot of memory and had to go back to Hill Crest because her past and present were mixing with each other as well as fiction and reality.
- She went without a bra for 2 weeks and without her glasses for two weeks. Staff kept her clothes from her so she only had two outfits for about 3 weeks.
- They also read a letter she had written when she was 14 out loud to the whole adult floor. It was a sexual letter that had gotten taken up and put in her chart from 8 years ago when she was in the adolescent program. She was already having a psychological breakdown and it messed with her mind even worse. It sent her into a deeper state of shock.
- She was also forced to either take her medication or they would hold her down to give a shot, even if she was not being aggressive. She kept telling them the medication was making things worse but they did not care.
- Social Media Account: https://www.facebook.com/crystal.ward.790/
6. Celia hafner
- Celia Hafner stayed at this horrible place in 2014. She saw and experienced so much abuse at the hands of people who were supposed to be taking care of her.
- She was in the adult unit and she was given no help, no care, no therapy, or anything like that. She was doped up. She went in taking a single anti-depressant and left on 6 different medications. She was shuffled to and from meals and if she got lucky they just ignored her. If she caused trouble, they would take her into her room and handle the situation.
- According to Hafner, the juvenile ward is even worse. There is another ward in the basement for "dangerous" patients, and she never saw anyone come back from it.
- Her mother had to threaten to sue to get her out of this place because they did not want her to leave.
- To this day, she is still afraid to seek help for her mental health issues because of this place.
- Social Media Account: https://www.facebook.com/celia.hafner.1
To be able to identify patients who have talked about their negative experience at UHS, we searched for news pages that are conducting investigations about UHS. We found Buzzfeed News which have posted an investigation about the abusive cases on UHS. We went to their Facebook post which shows a patient being abused and then we checked the comments section. In this section, we found comments from previous patients opening up about their bad experiences on UHS.
After choosing relevant stories, we opened each patient's Facebook account and made further research on each of them to check if they have provided contact information such as email addresses and phone numbers but none of them provided it in public. To strengthen our findings, we made individual research on each person to provide more of their contact details, but we did not find any detail posted in public about their personal data. In the absence of this information, we have provided the social media/Facebook account of the patients.