Tuacahn Amphitheatre Competitive Analysis, Part 1
Tuacahn does not appear to use sustainable energy as The Smith Center does, which would make it less attractive for eco-conscious customers. Tuacahn seems to have more facilities than HCT available for rental including a dance studio, black box, outdoor plaza and the plaza stage, which is likely to make Tuacahn a more attractive venue. All the following information is also stated in the attached spreadsheet.
- Tuacahn is located at 1100 Tuacahn Drive Ivins, Utah 84738.
- It hosts a variety of events including musicals and concerts at the venue, "plays, pageants, music and dance concerts, music and theater arts festivals, motion pictures, museums"
- Its first musical entitled "UTAH!", debuted in 1995 and the company has had several success stories and have engaged in the community by giving back.
ANNUAL NUMBER OF VISITORS
- Tuacahn Amphitheater has 265,000 annual customers.
- The company describes itself and thus events as unforgettable in its slogan, with a focus on growth and theater expansions.
- The company is also referred to as elegant and traditional.
- It offers ticket discounts for Preview Nights (35%), Military Appreciation Night (up to 50%), Freedom Days (up to 30%), Family 4-Pack Nights, Date Night/ Senior Nights (up to 30%) and Loco for Locals (up to 30%).
- It also has ongoing discounts for seniors, members of AAA, US Active or Retired Duty Military and "residents of Washington, Iron, Kane, and Virgin Valley counties".
- Tuacahn offers six ways that customers or general supporters can make donations to the company and provides direct contact information to do so.
- It provides a wide variety of ticket discounts, some of which are ongoing.
- The performance schedule provided is detailed with levels of availability for events and their respective tickets so customers can know exactly which tickets are available in high volumes, sold out or unavailable.
COMPARISON TO SMITH CENTER AND HALE CENTER
- Tuacahn does not appear to use sustainable energy as The Smith Center does, which would make it less attractive for eco-conscious customers.
- Tuacahn does not provide garage parking options as The Smith Center does.
- Tuacahn seems to have more facilities available for rental including a dance studio, black box, outdoor plaza and the plaza stage than HCT, which is likely to make Tuacahn a more attractive venue.
- The Smith Center is located at 361 Symphony Park Ave Las Vegas, NV 89106.
- It was opened in March 2012. The venue hosts a variety of events including Broadway shows, musicals, theater, dance and family-friendly events.
- This makes it a direct competitor to Tuacahn because they offer the same products/ services and are both competing in the U.S. market.
ANNUAL NUMBER OF VISITORS
- The company prides itself as versatile and promises to give flawless services, provide stunning settings, and personalized planning.
- The Smith Center offers discounts to students who may claim this via a mobile sign-up.
- Partner Perks is another type of discount offered to "employees of partners and businesses" of The Smith Center using promotional codes which grants them priority purchasing for specific shows and special offers.
- The Smith Center allows customers to have a smooth experience in making ticket purchases by enabling them to search for tickets by name, date, genre, and venue which makes it easier for customers who have preferences to get information quickly and easily.
- The center is LEED-certified, uses sustainable energy for windows, uses conservative restroom fixtures as well as natural lighting, which is likely to keep customers who support environmentally friendly initiatives.
- Customers or visitors have the opportunity to visualize different areas of the center including the Grand Lobby, Reynolds Hall, and Cabaret Jazz via its interactive imagery on the website which provides detailed descriptions of each area.
COMPARISON TO TUACAHN
- When compared with Tuacahn, The Smith Center offers versatility in the use of its facilities which can cater to other events such as weddings and parties among others, making it more attractive to customers.
- It is an eco-friendly environment with energy-efficient windows, sustainable restroom fixtures as well as natural lighting which is likely to attract more eco-conscious consumers.
- It also offers garage and surface parking options which are more likely to be an attraction since there are more options for parking locations.
- On the other hand, Tuacahn offers many types of discounts, some of which are ongoing, while The Smith Center seems to offer only two types for the students and partners.
- Hale Center Theater (HCT) is located at 9900 South Monroe Street, Sandy, UT 84070 and was opened in 1947.
- The venue hosts a variety of events including musicals, musical comedy, theater and family-friendly events which makes it a direct competitor to Tuacahn because they offer the same products/ services and are both competing in the U.S. market.
ANNUAL NUMBER OF VISITORS
- HCT has 530,000 annual visitors.
- HCT donates season tickets to KSL's Teacher Feature on an annual basis and speaks of itself as a strong supporter for community outreach.
- It refers to its Salt Lake venue as "home" which is likely to engage customers and make them feel more comfortable as if they are a part of a family.
- HCT describes itself as innovative and a professional family theater.
- It offers season tickets discounts (33% off), group ticket discounts, student discounts and seat discounts.
- HCT is very involved in the community as it gives more than 11,000 tickets free of cost to groups such as at-risk youths, scouts, seniors and more which is likely to make customers more engaged when seen as such an active player in the community.
- The company has strong recognition in Salt Lake County from its Zoo, Arts and Parks Program, is considered the Best of State and has Mountain America Credit Union as a major season sponsor.
- It also engages with customers on social media suggesting that it is active because it uses several platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Flickr.
COMPARISON TO TUACAHN
- HCT offers private elegant and magical spaces for hosting events and also accommodates building rental for customers interested in a space for large groups (e g. 910 guests).
- This makes it more attractive for customers looking for elegance or to host events such as an evening of excellence.
- However, Tuacahn seems to have more facilities available for rental including a dance studio, black box, outdoor plaza and the plaza stage which is likely to make Tuacahn a more attractive venue.
YOUR RESEARCH TEAM APPLIED THE FOLLOWING STRATEGY
To provide the required details for all three companies, our first step was to scour the official websites of each company. We were able to provide an overview, the number of annual visitors, marketing messaging, competitive advantage and comparisons, with the help of very few news sources. However, we were unable to find the number of annual visitors for Smith Center.
Our second approach was to search for attendees in the company's annual report. However, the information found was mainly about programming initiatives for the community and not about the attendees to the more formal events.
We then searched for information relating to Smith Center's customers in news sources (e g. Variety, NY Times) hoping to get an indication of the number of persons likely to take part in or visit the various events but we did not get a number in this search.
Finally, we looked for the marketing manager at the Smith Center on LinkedIn. We hoped that the manager would have made mentions of the success the company had recently and included some statistics in terms of visitors in their work portfolio. However, this was also unsuccessful.