While data was limited on the breakdown of commercial trailers by type, we were able to find information on the segmentation and estimate the most common commercial trailers by type. In determining prominent states for trucking, we've provided data on which states had the most truck companies as well as the states with the most total registered commercial trailers.
Commercial Trailers By Type
- While there was limited data on the breakdown of commercial trailers by type, one source reveals that there are 11.7 million commercial trailers, 11 million light farm trailers, and 2.4 million house trailers.
- There was not a specific quantifiable statistic, but another source notes that commercial semi-trailers are more popular than full-trailers.
- It's also noted that the semi-trailer market is segmented by vehicle type and foot length.
- Vehicle type categories include lowboy, flatbed, refrigerated, dry van, and other.
- The dry van is the most commonly used trailer in trucking.
- Another source notes there are 14 types of trailers, but that the 3 most common types of truckloads are flatbed trailers, step deck trailers, and double drop deck trailers.
- The largest segment of semi-trailers are those with less than 3 axles, with this segment expected to grow rapidly between 2017-2025.
Prominent States for Trucking
Most Trucking Companies
- States with the most trucking companies are; California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Georgia.
- Texas has over 130,000 trucking companies, which is related to the amount of farming.
- Florida has a large amount of trucking due in part to the production and distribution of fruit in the state.
- Florida has an estimated 110,000 truck companies.
- New York has over 105,000 trucking companies, mostly related to the state being the biggest importer of goods in the country.
- Georgia has approximately 82,000 truck companies, with two of its largest demands for commercial trailers related to Coca Cola distribution and fruit, specifically the export of peaches.
Total Registered Commercial Trailers by State
- In terms of total registered commercial trailers, Texas ranks highest with 1.4 million commercial trailers.
- Pennsylvania has 1.1 million registered commercial trailers, California has 1 million, Maryland has 923,000, and Texas has 863,000.
- States with the least registered trailers include Oregon, Nevada, and Kansas.
In order to find data on breakdown of commercial trailers by type, as well as the most prominent states for trucking, we analyzed industry reports, business media sources, and government reports, specifically statistics from the Bureau of Transportation. For prominent states, we triangulated data on which states had the most truck companies as well as the most total registered commercial trailers.