Anxiety and Stress Journalists and Influencers
With millions of Americans suffering from different forms of mental disorders, numerous celebrities are leading the conversation about stress and anxiety. Some of these celebrities include Colton Haynes, Gina Rodriguez, Kourtney Kardashian, Noah Cyrus, Serena Williams, Demi Lovato, and Justin.
1. Colton Haynes
- Colton Haynes is an American actor and model better known for his starring role as Jackson Whitemore in the MTV drama series known as Teen Wolf. He is 31 years and has 6.4 million followers on his Instagram page.
- Colton has in recent years engaged in the conversation about stress and anxiety and has featured in many articles and magazines as a victim of anxiety and depression. Through a campaign known as "MyYoungerSelfCampaign", Colton encourages celebrities to share their struggles about their mental health.
- He shares his life experiences concerning anxiety and depression and offers practical advice on how to deal with mental health conditions through his social media accounts.
- Colton leads the conversation relating to anxiety and stress through his campaign “MyYoungerSelfCampaign”. Through this campaign he has managed to share messages of hope and courage especially to children who have various forms of mental health problems.
2. Gina Rodriguez
- Gina Rodriguez is an American actress and director better known for her role as Jane Villanueva in the romantic drama series “Jane the Virgin”. She is 35 years and has 4.4 million followers on her Instagram social media account.
- Rodriguez has repeatedly used her social media platforms to advocate for important issues relating to mental health and especially after being a victim of anxiety and depression. She has opened about her struggle with depression, anxiety, and panic attacks, which began in her teenage years.
- She points out that social media has opened a pathway that has allowed her to talk about anxiety and depression freely, she has used the platform to seek help and help millions of others that are suffering in silence.
- Gina Rodriguez continues to lead the conversation about anxiety and stress by engaging her followers through her Instagram posts. In the past two years, she has managed to open up about her anxiety in different forums. For instance, in June 2018 she spoke at the Kennedy Forum about her uphill battle with anxiety and depression.
3. Kourtney Kardashian
- Kourtney Kardashian is an American media personality, author, model, and socialite, who stars in the reality television series featuring other members of her family. Kourtney celebrated her 40th birthday on April 18, 2019, and has 82 million followers on her Instagram account.
- Kourtney is one of the celebrities leading the conversation around anxiety and stress through her social media platforms and her blog ‘Sincerely Kourt’. She opens up about her struggles with anxiety and particularly after breaking up with the father of her third child.
- She uses her social media accounts, apps, and blog to share her experiences about anxiety and how she has managed to cope.
- Kourtney Kardashian has continued to lead the conversation about anxiety and stress through her blog and where she narrates how she has managed to deal with anxiety often occasioned by hard times. She offers advice on how to tackle anxiety and procedures that help her anxious situation.
4. Noah Lindsey Cyrus
- Noah Lindsey Cyrus is an American songwriter, singer, and actress. She made her music debut in 2016 after releasing the song “Make Me”, She is currently 19 years and has 5.2 million followers on her Instagram account.
- Noah Cyrus is a celebrity that has engaged in the conversation about anxiety and stress. In the September 2018 issue of L’Officiel USA, she reflected on her struggles with mental health. The singer opened up about her struggles with depression, anxiety, and panic attacks.
- Noah Cyrus has led the conversation around anxiety and stress through her music, for instance, her latest music releases have focused on her emotions, anxiety and how she has been struggling with depression.
- She has also used her Instagram account to reveal that hurtful comments have hurt her mental health.
5. Serena Williams
- Serena Williams is an American tennis player with more than twenty major single titles; she has been ranked as world number one by the Women’s Tennis Association on eight different occasions. Serena is 38 years and has 11.7 million followers on Instagram.
- She has led the conversation about anxiety and depression in the recent years and especially after giving birth to her daughter Alexis Olympia. She has opened about her anxiety and depression and how it has continued to affect her career and personal life.
- Serena has used different platforms including her social media accounts to converse about the effects of anxiety and postpartum depression.
- Serena Williams continues with the conversation about anxiety and depression by encouraging her followers to be their own health advocates. She has managed to participate in different interviews with leading magazines where she has shared her experiences on her mental health conditions.
6. Demi Lovato
- Demi Lovato is an American songwriter, singer, and actress, her career began in 2002 in the television series “Barney and Friends”. She is 27 years old and has 74.5 million followers on her Instagram social media account.
- Lovato has frequently spoken about her experiences with anxiety and depression, and points out that she first had suicidal thoughts when she was only seven years old. She has spread the message about the importance of mental health matters and the need to seek help.
- Lovato uses different platforms including her social media accounts to open up about her journey to sobriety and her experience with bipolar disorder.
- Demi Lovato continues to lead in the conversation around anxiety and stress through her YouTube channel and leading television stations. As a vocal advocate for mental health awareness, she launched mental-health awareness campaign, which focuses on stopping anxiety before it begins, by speaking up.
7. Justin Bieber
- Justin is a Canadian actor and singer-songwriter he became famous at the age of 13 after signing for RBMG records in 2008. He is 25 years old and has 119.7 million followers on Instagram.
- Justin has opened about his mental health more than fourteen times, which he believes has allowed his fans to see a different side of him. He has used his Instagram social media account frequently to talk to his fans about his struggles with anxiety and fear.
- Justin has continued to share everything including therapy sessions and photos through Instagram posts to update his fans about his mental health journey.
- He has consistently shared different tips on how people can deal with an anxiety attack and depression.
To identify top anxiety and stress influencers, the research team began by identifying celebrities that are leading in the conversation about stress and anxiety. To determine those leading in the conversation, the research team searched celebrities that have in the past two years engaged in anxiety and stress conversation. Because many celebrities met these criteria, we identified those leading in the conversation by identifying the number of followers that they have on Instagram and whereby a minimum of four million followers was set. Using this strategy, the research team was able to identify seven celebrities who are leading the conversation about stress and anxiety.