Tractor Supply Overview
Tractor Supply Company (TSC) is the top rural lifestyle retailer in the US and it has about 1,844 tractor supply stores and about 180 pet stores in about 49 states in the US. TSC's key competitors are Lowes, The Home Depot, The Travel Centers of America, Sherwin-Williams, and Lumber Liquidators. It is a preferred destination for rural America's recreational farmers, ranchers, and tradesmen because it has a strong focus on customer satisfaction.
- Tractor Supply Company (TSC) was started in 1938 and its head office is in Brentwood, TN. It is a public company with over 32,000 employees and its annual revenue exceeds $8 billion.
- The company is reported to be the top rural lifestyle retailer in the US and to be a one-stop-shop for people who enjoy living the rural lifestyle, including recreational farmers and ranchers.
- Tractor Supply Company offerings include a wide range of products designed to care for home, land, pets, and animals. It indicates that its focus is on product localization, exclusive brands, and customer satisfaction.
- The company's strategy is to provide a convenient shopping experience where customers can get services anywhere, at any time, and in any way.
- Tractor Supply Company's 2019 annual report indicated that the company had about 2,024 stores located in about 49 states in the US, including about 1,844 tractor supply stores and about 180 pet specialty stores, and e-commerce websites.
- The general information about the locations of the company's stores is as shown in the image below:
- Information on the distribution of the stores in the US can be found here and guidelines on how to locate the company's stores can be found here.
- According to Craft.co, TSC's key competitors are Lowes, The Home Depot, The Travel Centers of America, Sherwin-Williams, and Lumber Liquidators.
- Lowe's offerings include products for construction, maintenance, repair, remodeling, and decorating.
- Comparably lists The Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Harbor Freight Tools, Lowe's and Lumber Liquidators as TSC's top competitors.
- According to CNN Business, TSC offers an ideal case study on how a company can win customer loyalty and CNN highlights reasons why TSC is a preferred destination for rural America's recreational farmers, ranchers, and tradesmen. The company is reported to have a strong focus on customer satisfaction.
- In order to serve its customers well, TSC employs people who have farming and ranching backgrounds and the employees offer training to customers on subjects like how to care for animals and how to do repairs on the farm.
- TSC offers online expert advice to its customers using tip sheets and videos on subjects like how to manage horses, how to keep chicken, and how to fence goats.
- The company's stores offer almost everything needed to maintain their ranches, homes, farms, barns, and take care of their pets. These offerings save customers the pain of making separate visits to auto shops, hardware shops, and gardening stores.
- Tractor Supply Company enhanced its e-commerce option to attract its online customers and it added over 100,000 items to its website and buy-online-pickup-in-store options. The company reports that about 75% of its online orders are picked up in stores.
- The company recently launched a loyalty program, the Neighbor's Club, which already has about 10 million members, and this program will enable the company to gather data on its customers.
- According to Forbes, TSC is unique because it is very specific on the customer segments and purchases it owns and the company makes every effort to remain relevant to its customers.
- Forbes observed that TSC had a well-designed customer journey and it has good knowledge of each touchpoint in the customer journey. This makes the company deliver an exemplary customer experience. Forbes further reports that TSC is highly innovative and agile.
- TSC's former chair, Joe Scarlett, says the company established good working relations with its suppliers and ensured that it got goods to the market before its competitors.
- Joe Scarlet indicated that TSC's management established a strong company culture founded on 'a very strong mission and very strong values'. He noted that TSC's employees deal positively with customers because they love their company.
- The former chair says that the company created the Tractor Supply University responsible for ensuring that the right people are hired, taught, trained, coached, and developed.
Awards & Revenue
- According to Businesswire, TSC's net sales for the January-June 2020 period increased by about 23% compared to the same period last year. Businesswire reports that the company's net sales for the first half of 2020 were about $5.1 billion compared to about 4.2 billion in 2019.
- Fortune indicates that in 2014, TSC was ranked at position 480 and the company rose to position 388 in 2019.