Leading Brands and Products: Crisps, Tortilla Chips, Snack Bars
Lays and Ruffles are best-selling crisps brands, Doritos and Tostitos are best-selling tortilla chips, Rice Krispies Treats and Nutri Grain bars are best-selling snack bars, Cheetos and Chesters are best-selling cheese, and Oreo and Double Stuf are best-selling cookies.
- Lays has a 59.9% share of the US potato chips industry. Its sales in 2017 were $2.18 billion. According to TheRecipe, Sour cream and Onion is the best Lay flavor followed by Barbecue.
- Ruffles is the second leading salty snack brand in the US. Its 2017 sales were $870 million. Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles is the most preferred flavor followed by Sour Cream and Onion Ruffles.
- Doritos is the leading tortilla/tostada chips brand. Its 2017 sales were $2.09billions. Nacho cheese is the best Doritos flavor.
- Tostitos is the second leading tortilla brand with $635 million 2017 in sales. Tostitos Hint of Lime is the best flavor according to Ranker.
- Rice Krispies Treats is the leading snack bar brand. Its 2016 sales were $144.9 million.
- Nutri Grain Bars is the second leading snack bar brand with $124.7 million 2016 sales. Nutri Grain Apple Cinnamon is the best flavor according to Ranker.
- Cheetos is the leading cheese brand. Its 2017 sales were $1.62 billion. According to Spoonuniversty Crunchy is the best Cheetos flavor.
- Chesters is the second leading cheese brand. Its 2017 sales were $120 million. Chester's Cheese Flavored Puff Corn is the best-selling Chesters flavor according to Amazon Pantry ranking.
- Oreo is the leading cookies brand. Its 2017 sales were $710 million. Oreo's regular is the best-selling flavor.
- Double Stuf is the second leading cookie brand.
The research began by evaluating top brands in the crisps, tortilla chips, snack bars, cheese, and cookies snacks categories. The research team reviewed articles and research previously done. Information on top brands in these categories was found in the research done by IRI. Information on best-selling products/flavors per the brands was not available in the research. The research team assumed that the best-selling flavors are the ones ranked as the best flavors. Using this assumption, the research team was able to find the best flavors by reviewing articles and reports from Ranker, Amazon, and TheRecipe.