Top Investors - Biotech: Alexandria Venture, Perceptive Advisors
Alexandria Investment was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in San Francisco. Partners Perceptive Advisors was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in New York.
Alexandria Venture Investments
- Alexandria Venture Investments (AVI) is the venture capital arm of Alexandria Real Estate Equities, which is listed on the New York Stock Exchange with the ticker symbol ARE.
- AVI was founded in 1996 to provide "long-term strategic investment capital " to companies developing "breakthrough technologies and therapies" in specific sectors.
- The sectors it invests in are AgTech, technology, diagnostics, biopharma, and research tools.
- It invests at different stages including, seed, early, and growth-stage.
- In 2018, AVI was named the "Most Active Biopharma Investor" by new deal volume, by Sillicon Valley Bank.
- In the same year, it was named the "#1 venture capital investor in the healthcare sector by U.S.-based deal volume", by Forbes.
- The company is headquartered in San Francisco — California and employs 251+ people.
- In April 2020, AVI alongside other firms raised $38 million in a Series A funding for the biotech company Nitrome Biosciences. Nitrome Biosciences is developing drugs against Nitrases, which is a new class of enzymes. According to the CEO of Nitrome Biosciences, Dr Irene Griswold-Prenner, the investment would enable the company to forge ahead with its mission of improving the lives of people with neurodegenerative and other age-related diseases.
- In March 2020, AVI also contributed to a $60 million Series A funding for the company Affinia Therapeutics. Affinia Therapeutics is a biotech company focused on creating "transformative gene therapies" for devastating genetic diseases.
Points of Contact
- Michael Norsen — Principal at Alexandria Venture Investments
- Catherine Pagliarulo — Principal at Alexandria Venture Investments
- Hallie Kuhn — Principal at Alexandria Venture Investments
Data from Initial Research
- Alexandria Venture Investments (California): 19 deals. Felice Shieh serves has been a principal with the firm since April 2019.
- Perceptive Advisors is focused on "supporting progress in the life sciences industry", by spotting opportunities and administering financial resources towards "the most promising" technologies in modern healthcare.
- The firm was established in 1999 and is headquartered in New York, New York.
- It states that its investments are targeted towards healthcare companies from small to large, who have been identified in their fields as being transformative.
- It also looks out for companies who offer new therapeutics, devices, or diagnostics with conviction in the healthcare industry.
- The company is made up of 26 team members and has approximately $4.2 billion in assets under management.
- In April 2020, Perceptive Advisors was the lead investor in a $55 million Series C investment into the company Dynacure. Dynacure is a biotech company specialized in the development of clinical-stage drugs for patients with orphan and rare diseases.
- In March 2020, Perceptive Advisors through its Perceptive Xontogeny Venture Fund, invested $21 million in a Series A financing into Zucara Therapeutics. Zucara Therapeutics is a biotech company focused on creating the "first, once-daily" therapeutic, for preventing low blood sugar in diabetic patients.
Points of Contact
- Joseph Edelman — CEO and Portfolio Manager
- Adam Stone — Chief Investment Officer
- Michael Altman — Managing Director
Data From Initial Research
- Perceptive Advisors (New York): 18 deals. Sam Chawla is the portfolio manager and a member of the investment committee.