Top Health Care Facilities With Wellness Programs Part 1
Integrative medicine is typically the name given to the combination of health care and wellness offerings provided by health care facilities with the goal of treating the "whole" patient to include the range of physical, emotional, social, and other factors that influence health. It is also commonly referred to as treatment that combines Western training with Eastern and holistic approaches. Wellness programs provided by healthcare facilities provide acupuncture and trigger point injections, cognitive behavioral therapy, massage therapy, and fitness and wellness programs among others. We identified top programs offered by Duke, John Hopkins, UCLA, and Northwestern Medicine and summarized them below. Pictures of the facilities are included as well.
1. DUKE INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE
- Duke provides patients with an integrative medicine healthcare team that provide primary care in addition to wellness services such as psychotherapy and emotional wellness, nutrition and weight management, acupuncture, massage therapy, individual yoga therapy, gentle yoga classes, health coaching, and wellness strategies for cancer patients.
- Wellness strategies for cancer patients includes individual yoga, health coaching, acupuncture, integrative nutrition, and mind/body focus that includes mindfulness-based stress reduction through meditation, yoga, hypnosis, and cognitive-behavior therapy.
- Their Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Motivational Interviewing approaches help relieve symptoms of anxiety, depression, OCD and others; strengthen problem solving skills; develop communication skills; regulate emotions; address marital concerns; improve assertiveness, self-confidence, and self-image; and define and create a more meaningful life.
2. JOHN HOPKINS INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE AND DIGESTIVE CENTER
- They use a patient-centered approach that includes a broad range of services to improve health and promote wellness while treating chronic illnesses and diseases. Some services they offer are acupuncture, cognitive behavioral therapy, Gastroenterology consultations, weight management consultations, integrative psychotherapy, Reiki, and therapeutic massage.
- Acupuncture is used to treat a wide range of conditions including but not limited to acute and chronic pain, autoimmune disorders, cognitive issues, gastrointestinal issues, gynecological and obstetric issues, neurological conditions, and others.
- Integrative Psychotherapy, or Mind-Body Therapy, incorporates traditional psychotherapy with holistic medicine to promote healing on all levels and create a healthy alliance between mind and body to manage stress and create a healthy lifestyle.
- Reiki sessions seek to transmit "Universal Life Energy" to the patient by creating deep relaxation to speed healing, reduce pain, and decrease other symptoms. Therapeutic massage options include Swedish massage, deep tissue, reflexology, lymph damage therapy, Reiki, hot stone, among others.
3. UCLA CENTER FOR EAST-WEST MEDICINE
- Clinicians are trained in Western biomedicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine, and acupuncturists and "Western-trained, Board-certified physicians", trained in TCM, and they all work together at all stages of patient care. Their services include acupuncture, bodywork, dietary advice, trigger point injections, and medication adjustments.
- Trigger point injections are a type of needle-based treatment that uses a slightly bigger needle to deactivate trigger points that cause muscle tension and spasms.
- They also offer a musician-centered, problem solving approach to help optimize the musical performance of "athletes of the small muscles" to maintain their precision, coordination, fluency, and stamina required of musicians.
4. NORTHWESTERN MEDICINE OSHER CENTER FOR INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE
- The center provides integrative and wellness services that bridges the gap between conventional primary care and holistic approaches. These services include chiropractic care, massage therapy, energy medicine, TCM (acupuncture and herbs), fitness and wellness classes, behavioral medicine, and integrative women's health.
- They provide fitness and wellness classes specific to expectant parents, yoga and Pilates, and support groups.
We used the US News list of the top hospitals in the US and focused on the top ten. After reviewing their services, we further focused on those that were blending healthcare and modern wellness offerings. From that search we identified four top healthcare providers that were blending wellness programs to be Duke, John Hopkins, UCLA, and Northwestern. We further investigated their offerings to ensure they met the criteria and to observe any trends and commonalities that demonstrated best practices in their service offerings.