Story and Brand Positioning
Tito's Vodka is Texas' oldest legal distillery and paved the way for microdistilleries in the state. Tito works to expand its brand by continuing to stay true to its roots. To expand outside of Texas the company works with local distributors.
TITO'S VODKA BEGINNINGS
- Tito's Vodka was founded by Bert Beveridge, and began as a hobby. Beveridge fought against Texas's distillery laws and set the way for microdistilleries.
- Bert Beveridge began his vodka business in 1997, failing to get his product into stores at first.
- Using $90,000 in credit cards, Beveridge purchased 13 acres in Travis Country. By re-creating distilleries seen in old photographs he began to create his homemade vodka.
- Tito's Vodka is made with yellow corn, as opposed to the traditional wheat.
- The brands big break came in 2001 when Beveridge entered into the World Spirits Competition in San Francisco and won.
- Today, Tito's Vodka gives back. They created a charity, Vodka for Dog People and all online profits go to designated non-profits.
EXPANDING INSIDE TEXAS
- Tito's Vodka worked to corner a market that was not currently available in Texas. The company wanted to provide a Vodka that was not just used in cocktails but that could be drunk alone.
- At a local level, Tito's has worked to expose the brand via outdoor events and local broadcasting. Strategies include custom murals and local venue sponsorships.
- As a company that has not forgotten its roots, Tito's has positioned itself as a Texas brand. Tito's partnered with Chili's, another Texas company, to showcase its vodka.
EXPANDING OUTSIDE TEXAS
- To expand overseas Tito's has partnered with different distributors to enter each market.
- In particular, Tito has worked with Dufry, the world’s biggest duty-free retailer, to expand to new markets through airports.
- When Tito expanded to Mexico in 2018, the company was not just focused on the Mexican market, the company also wanted to target American and Canadians on vacation.
- They used Société Dugas to expand into France. The company used on-trade activations to entice new customers.
- In 2019, Tito's has launched in Mongolia, an area they see as the gateway further into Asia.
- As Tito's continues to expand into Europe, the company is using branded installations, wall bays and gondolas that highlight the brand's Texas roots. They plan to offer promotions and offer samples in stores.
- Tito's Vodka positioned itself as a handmade vodka, a claim that can not be used by the larger vodka manufacturers. The lower cost also drives demand for the beverage.
- Today every batch of Tito's is created in an old-fashioned pot still and is taste tested.
- The brand has not forgotten its humble beginnings and still connects with customers on social media on a one-to-one basis.