Time on Facebook
In 2017, the average American spent 41 minutes per day, 20.5 hours per month, and 10.40 days per year on Facebook. In 2017, the average working American spent 18.2 minutes per workday, 1.52 hours per workweek, and 3.29 days per work year on Facebook.
Facebook U.S. Demographics
- Statista found that the average daily time U.S. users spent on Facebook in 2017 was 41 minutes, and is estimated to be 42 minutes in 2018 and 43 minutes in 2019.
- In 2017, OfficeTeam found that American employees were doing activities unrelated to their jobs for about eight hours of the workweek. Employees said they spent 28% of their time on social media.
- In 2018, 68% of adult Americans used Facebook.
- 60% of U.S. adults that graduated with a high school diploma or less were found to use Facebook.
- 71% of U.S. adults that graduated with some college were found to use Facebook.
- 77% of U.S. adults who graduated from college were found to use Facebook.
Average Americans Facebook Usage:
Triangulation 1; Average number of days per month
365 days/ 12 months = 30.41 days, rounded down to 30 days
Triangulation 2: Determining the 2017, 2018, 2019 timer per month and year spent on Facebook from the time spent per day.
30 days * 41 minutes per day in 2017 = 1,230 minutes per month or 20.5 hours per month
30 days * 42 minutes per day in 2018 = 1,260 minutes per month or 21 hours per month
30 days * 43 minutes per day in 2019 = 1,290 minutes per month or 21.5 hours per month
365 days *41 minutes per day in 2017 = 14,965 minutes per year or 249.41 hours per year or 10.40 days per year
365 days * 42 minutes per day in 2018 = 15,330 minutes per year or 255.5 hours per year or 10.64 days per year
365 days * 43 minutes per day in 2019 = 15,695 minutes per year or 261.58 hours per year or 10.90 days per year
Working Americans Facebook Usage:
Definition: Workweek is 5 days a week or 40 hours a week.
8 hours spent a week doing unrelated activities * 28% time spent on social media * 68% of social media usage is on Facebook = 1.52 hours spent on Facebook per week by American workers
1.52 hours * 60 minutes = 91.2 minutes per week
91.2 minutes per week/ 5 days per workweek = 18.24 minutes per workday spent on Facebook in 2017