Ticket Broker Industry Overview
Tickpick states that there are 1000+ ticket brokers in the United States. Most of them are listed for Chicago followed by Dallas, Houston, and Las Vegas. The global market value of the secondary ticket industry is expected to touch $15.19 billion by 2020.
TICKET BROKER INDUSTRY
- The global secondary ticket market is expected to reach a total value of $15.19 billion by 2020. The top ticket resellers in the US include Ace Ticket Worldwide, Alliance Tickets, Coast to Coast Tickets, and others.
- The ticket brokerage market comprises internet sites such as Starhub, traditional ticket brokers, and individuals who sell tickets outside the venue". The total value of this industry is estimated to be $5 billion.
- There are around 1000+ ticket brokers in the US which include online places and ticket reseller companies. Most of the ticket brokers are listed for Chicago (19) followed by other regions such as Dallas (6), Houston (6), and Las Vegas (3).
- "Businesses or people that resell tickets need a license. This license comes from the New York State Department of State (NYSDOS)" which is common for websites (marketplaces) and companies (ticket brokers).
- Starhub is the world’s largest ticket marketplace and has about 200 partners globally and includes "more than 130 properties across major leagues and venues including MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS and NCAA, and companies".
- The list of Starhub partners (approx 100+) includes marketplaces, university sports leagues, and a company named Spectra Ticketing & Fan Engagement.
- National Association of Ticket Brokers (NATB) is a formal organization to establish an industry-wide standard of conduct and to create ethical rules and procedures in the ticket reseller industry. The association has 198 ticket broker members in the US.
TICKET BROKER COMPANIES
- Empire Tickets is an Atlanta-based ticket broker specializing in premium seats to high-profile sporting events, concerts, and theater productions in the US and other parts of the world.
- Ace Ticket is a Boston-based ticket broker selling tickets to sports, concerts, and theater events nationwide. Ace Ticket is an active member of the National Association of Ticket Brokers.
- The ticket game of the CBC market places like Ticket Master, Starhub, and others own more than 157 venues worldwide.
YOUR RESEARCH TEAM APPLIED THE FOLLOWING STRATEGY:
We began our research by examining ticket broker companies in the US on market reports and news articles with the primary focus on ticket brokers in concerts and sports industries. Technovia, marketsandmarkets, investmentbank, bigthink, etc. are some of the websites we looked into. Subsequently, we discovered that the ticket brokerage market comprises internet sites such as Starhub, traditional ticket brokers, and individuals who sell tickets outside the venue. We also came across other related data in this search attempt. But, there was no breakdown of the number of ticket brokers companies in the United States. Further, we examined news articles but couldn't locate precompiled data regarding the said subject. But, we did find information on the number of ticket resellers in the US and other data.
Based on the available information, we tried to triangulate the required data by looking through the partners of the ticket broker companies who sell/partner through database sites and provide an estimate of the number of ticket broker companies. Through this attempt, we found that Starhub is the world's largest ticket reseller market place with 200 partners globally. Further research did not provide sufficient data.
Next, we tried to check if the ticket broker companies in the US are required to take license to work in the industry so that we could extract the organization resources to see how many companies have been licensed to provide an estimate on the number of ticket broker companies. Here, we found that "businesses or people that resell tickets need a license. This license comes from the New York State Department of State (NYSDOS)".