Licensed Educational Products
Five educational products that offer licensed use to educational institutions are Adobe for Education, Office 365 for Education, NewPath Online Classes, Tech4Learning and Write About Online. Below is a description of each license offering including price structure if available.
Adobe has three licensing plans for schools and non-profits:
1. Value Incentive Plan (VIP)-a subscription-based license scalable for all size institutions. With this plan schools can opt to purchase a named-user license, device license, K-12 school license or K-12 District license. In addition, named-user or device licenses can be deployed for Bring Your Own Devices (BYOD) or at-home personal devices for active students and faculty. The annual subscription payment is expected up front. An extended license for up to 4 years is also available. The entire four-year subscription must be paid upfront. Purchasers are assigned an Adobe Account Manager that provides support both before and after purchase. Pricing is available by contacting an Adobe representative and will vary based off of volume of usage and contract terms.
2. Cumulative Licensing Program (CLP)-is a perpetual single license agreement allowing the user to access the product in accordance with the End User License Agreement. The license must be renewed every two years. The initial volume purchased sets the discount level for the organization. Additional purchases will be at the set discount level until the number of purchases reaches the next discount level. For educational institutions the discount levels are: 5,000-49,999; 50,000-99,999; 100,000+. Institutions can combine other licensing plans with the CLP plan for discount levels. Purchasers have access to the Adobe Licensing Website for license management resources. Pricing is available by contacting an Adobe representative or authorized Adobe reseller.
3. Transactional Licensing Plan (TLP)-allows users to make one time purchases at volume discounts with no membership requirements or agreements. The TLP provides a single serial number for the entire organization. Customers will have access to community resources, eSeminars, and white papers. TLP users can qualify for volume discounts for current purchases and future purchases. Pricing is available through an Adobe representative or authorized reseller.
1. Office 365 A1 is a free license for both students and faculty. It is a free online-only version of Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint with email capability. It provides a customized hub for classroom collaboration. Each user and faculty member must sign up separately.
2. Office 365 A3 is a per-user subscription-based license that offers access to both web and desktop versions of popular Office products such as Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Each user can access the products on up to 5 PCs, 5 tablets and 5 phones. It also offers access to Professional Learning Community Groups and contains App Security. It costs $2.50 per student/per month and $3.25 per faculty member/per month.
3. Office 365 A5-is a per-user subscription-based license that offers the same products and services as A3 in addition to Advanced Threat Protection, personal and organizational analytics and enhanced visibility. The cost is $6 per student/per month and $8 per faculty member per month.
NewPath offers two subscription license options for institutional access to online education products. Each license is good for every student in the building and up to 25 teachers. The plans offer unlimited access to all online content with full printing privileges and unlimited cloud storage. It is available for use on any device including PCs, phones and tablets. Illustrated help screens and a toll-free technical support number are provided to users. Plan Costs:
1. 1-Year Premium School Online Learning Subscription-$1,499.95 yearly
2. 2-Year Premium School Online Learning Subscription-$2,699.95 yearly
The products are available in classroom size license options as well. The features are the same as the School Plans but limited to up to 150 students. Prices are $49.95-$199.95 depending on class size.
Tech4Learning offers two license options for schools and school districts. Product support for the platform is not published. Subscription costs are available by quote from a Tech4Learning representative.
1. Cumulative Volume Licensing (CVL)- schools and districts can purchase a discount volume license based off of the total number of licenses purchased over time. There is a minimum purchase of 5-20 licenses depending on the product. There is no term agreement. Version upgrades will require an additional purchase. Each device must have a separate license but there is no limit on the number of users that can access the product. Faculty and staff may install the products on one home computer.
2. Enterprise Licensing Agreement (ELA)-a per student plan that offers deep volume discounts. The agreement terms are for a 3-year contract period. The minimum purchase is 300 students and one grade level. There is no limit on devices. Both students and faculty can use BYODs. All version upgrades are included in the plan. Faculty and staff may install the products on one home computer.
Write About is an online writing and publishing platform for students and teachers. It has both a classroom and school license:
1. Classroom License-features unlimited access for one teacher and up to 250 students. Discounts are available for multiple classrooms but work sharing between teachers and classes is not available. Additionally, students transferring to another class will have to be re-enrolled. Support is available through the Help Center. Teachers can also schedule help with a Teacher Ambassador. The cost is $49.95 per classroom per year.
2. School License-offers the same features and support as the Classroom License with the ability to share work between teachers and classrooms. Students may also freely transfer from classroom to classroom. All students and teachers in the building have access with this plan. The cost is $995 per year.
Adobe Education, Office 365, NewPath, Tech4Learning and Write About offer multiple license agreements ranging from one-time licenses to unlimited user and device plans. Price structures vary by number of users or devices.