Texas Visitors - Demographic Analysis (Part 1)
Visitors to Texas State spend an average of $122.4 per day: roughly two-fifths on transportation ($38.6/ day) and a quarter on food ($31.2/ day). The most popular activities are visiting friends and relatives (27.4%), food/ dining (21.3%), and shopping (19.7%).
- The average age of a visitor to Texas in 2017 was 48.2 years old.
- The breakdown of visitors by age group was as follows.
- In 2017, 66.3% of visitors to Texas were employed.
- Retired visitors represented 21.3% of visitors, while 12.3% of visitors were unemployed.
MARITAL AND FAMILY STATUS
- In 2017, 66.8% of visitors to Texas were married compared to 21.9% who were never married and 11.4% who were divorced.
- Of the visitors to Texas in 2017, 35.2% had children in the household compared to 64.8% that had no children in the household.
- The average party size to visit Texas in 2017 was 1.79 persons.
- The average household income of 2017 visitors to Texas was $95,537.
- The breakdown of visitors by income bracket was as follows.
- In 2017, 27.7% of visitors to Texas were single male adults, while 21.3% were single female adults.
- Couples (one male and one female adult) constituted 27.2% of visitors to Texas and children were present 11.9% of the time.
- Two male or two female adults constituted 7.4% of the visitors to Texas and three or more adults represented 4.5% of the visitors to Texas.
- In 2018-19, the top states from which visitors to Texas originate are Louisiana, Oklahoma, California, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, New York, and Colorado.
- Internationally, the top countries from which visitors to Texas originate are Mexico, Canada, the United Kingdom, China, Germany, Australia, and Brazil.
- Business visitors represented 20.1% of the total visitors to Texas in 2017.
- Of those visitors, 9.3% visited Texas for meetings (4.4% for seminars, 1.9% for conventions, and 3.1% for other group meetings).
- Of those visitors 10.8% visited Texas for transient reasons to include consulting or client services (2.9%), sales and purchasing (1.6%), construction and repair (1.2%), government and military (1.0%), inspection and audit (0.9%), and other business (3.1%).
TEXAS VISITOR'S PER DAY SPENDING
- Texas visitors spend an average of $122.4 per day in total.
TEXAS VISITOR'S SPENDING BY ACTIVITY AND PERCENTAGE OF VISITORS SPENDING
- Transportation: $38.6 (31.6%)
- Transportation — Excluding Airfare: $25.5 (20.9%)
- Transportation — Airfare: $88.3 (10.7%)
- Transportation — Rental car: $44.2 (4.4%)
- Transportation — Other: $20.2 (16.5%)
- Food: $31.2 (25.5%)
- Lodging: $48.2 (17.9%)
- Shopping: $16.2 (13.3%)
- Entertainment: $11.2 (9.1%)
- Miscellaneous: $3.30 (2.7%)
PERCENTAGE OF VISITORS ENGAGING IN SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES
- Attractions: 18.0%
- Nightlife (bar, nightclub, etc.): 8.3%
- Amateur sports (attend/ participate): 3.5%
- Zoo/ Aquarium: 3.2%
- Culture: 24.5%
- Family/ Life Events: 39.1%
- Visit Friends/ Relatives (general visit): 27.4%
- Personal Special Events (Anniversary, Birthday): 7.1%
- Holiday Celebration (Thanksgiving, 4th of July, etc.): 4.8%
- Libation & Culinary: 22.1%
- Nature: 14.1%
- Parks (national/state, etc.): 7.3%
- Beach/ Waterfront: 6.2%
- Wildlife Viewing (birds, whales, etc.): 2.1%
- Outdoor Sports: 8.4%
- General: 35.9%