Technology products in coworking spaces

Part
01
of one
Part
01

Technology products in coworking space vs traditional office

There is a significant difference between the technology needs of co-working office spaces and traditional corporate office setups. One is the fact that the IT team in traditional offices determined which technologies should be adopted within the office. However, in shared workspaces, it is the users who decide which technologies should be present, and the IT team has to provide them. Additionally, coworking spaces have automated most of their operations, leading to a paperless environment, while in traditional corporate offices paper is still widely present even though some tasks have been automated. Some of the technological needs of coworking spaces include reliable and fast internet access, in-conferencing facilities and automated membership and booking services.

HOW COWORKING/SHARED WORKSPACES USE TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS DIFFERENTLY THAN A TRADITIONAL CORPORATE OFFICE ENVIRONMENT

There are differences in the use of technology between shared working spaces and traditional corporate offices. Some of these include:

In the traditional corporate office environment, the IT team has to establish the technology standards that will be adopted by the entire organization. However, in coworking/shared workspaces, it is the needs of the various members which will influence the technology that will be adopted.

Within a traditional corporate office environment, the IT department enforces uniformity in the technology used by the employees. On the other hand, individuals working in coworking spaces use various technologies and devices. As such, it is the duty of the co-working spaces to ensure that the IT capabilities of the office can sustain these varied functionalities.

In traditional corporate office setups, the technology provided is the minimum baseline to get along and ensure that operations smoothly. However, in coworking spaces, the technology and tools that are adopted should be higher than the minimum baseline and should significantly contribute to productivity.

Unlike traditional corporate office setups, the focus of co-working spaces is to facilitate digital convenience for clients through automation. An example is the use of automated membership agreements and renewals. Automation facilitates convenience for users of coworking spaces since they rent out their working spaces temporarily, unlike office workers in traditional corporate environments who are committed to their offices for a longer duration and can, therefore, use paper documents and place them in long-term storage for access in the future.

RELEVANT STATISTICS

Freelancers constitute 54% of individuals using co-working spaces. The other 46% are not independent workers, but they are mobile and are gradually adopting the use of more technological products than what is offered within the traditional office setup.

Sources
Sources

Quotes
  • "In a traditional office setting, it is the IT team that generally drives technology standards that employees will need to adopt and use. In a co-working environment, it’s just the opposite. The needs of the members drives what IT must provide."
Quotes
  • "Automation is essential for the modern freelancer or tech startup."
Quotes
  • "Top coworking spaces offer things like: High-Speed WiFi Free Printing and Scanning Mail Distribution Onsite Support Privacy Nooks Meeting Rooms"
Quotes
  • "State of the American Workplace delivers unprecedented analytics and advice on the changing workplace, using data collected from more than 195,600 U.S. employees, more than 31 million respondents, and insight from advising leading Fortune 1000 companies"
Quotes
  • "Co-working and Your Business The remaining 46% of coworkers who are not independent workers are also becoming more mobile, with many medium and large companies increasingly allowing their employees to work remotely"