Key Players - Farmed Salmon Market: North America
- Cooke Inc is the largest producer of farmed salmon in North America. In 2017, Cooke Inc. achieved total sales of USD $1.37 billion.
- Cooke Inc was established in 1985 in New Brunswick and today has multiple brands throughout the Americas, Europe, and Japan.
Thai Union North America
- Thai Union, based in Thailand, is one of the world's key farmed salmon producers, and is one of the top seafood producers in North America. In 2017, they had total sales of USD $1.30 billion.
- Thai Union has multiple brands including Chicken of the Sea International (COSI), Chicken of the Sea Frozen Foods (COSFF), and US Pet Nutrition (USPN).
- MOWI, formerly Marine Harvest, had total sales in 2017 of USD $552.4 million.
- MOWI is one of the largest seafood companies in the world and is the world's largest producer of farmed Atlantic Salmon.
Pacific American Fish Company
- Pacific American Fish Company (PAFCO) was established in 1977 and is headquartered in California. The company is one of North America's largest seafood suppliers and primarily fresh and frozen seafood products for retail, including farmed salmon steaks and fillets.
- In 2017, PAFCO had total sales of USD $291 million.
Ocean Garden Products Inc.
- Ocean Garden Products is one of North America's largest seafood companies. They supply farm-raised salmon to the US from the brand Storm Seafood. The company is primarily involved in selling seafood to distributors, retailers and restaurants.
- In 2017, Ocean Garden Products Inc had total sales USD $100-200 million.
Largest Land-Based Salmon Farms in North America
- Additionally, it was determined that the largest land-based salmon farms in North America, by potential harvesting volume, are Atlantic Sapphire in Florida at 220,000 tonnes, Nordic Aquafarms in Maine at 33,000 tonnes, Kuterra at 1,500 tonnes in British Columbia, Sustainable Blue in Nova Scotia at 600 tonnes, and Cape d’Or in Nova Scotia at 227 tonnes. Please note, some of these facilities are still under construction.
To identify the five top players in the farmed salmon market in North America, we began our search by searching for industry reports for a list of key players in the farmed salmon market in North America. We were unable to find such a report specific to the North American market. However, we were able to find a global report listing key global players in the farmed salmon market. Next, we located a list of key players, ranked by revenue, for all seafood in the North American market. By comparing the two lists, we were able to identify three of the key players for farmed salmon in the North American market, ranked by total revenue (i.e. revenue not specific to their farmed salmon products). To find the additional two key players, we reviewed the websites and product offerings of the other key seafood players by total revenue for the North American market to see if they offered farmed salmon. We assumed that since these players were the largest in the North American seafood market, they would also be among the largest specifically for farmed salmon in the North American market.