Automotive Tire Retail Sales
The number of automotive tires sold in 2019 in the United States through retailers such as Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc. was approximately 24.73 million.
Tires Sold by Retailers in 2019
- As published by Modern Tire Dealer in their 2018 report, tire retailers across the United States sold about 208.3 million auto tires in 2017.
- The six retail groups involved in selling replacement tires in the US, ranked by their market share in units of auto tires sold, are independent tire dealers (61.5%), mass merchandisers (11.5%), warehouse clubs (9.0%), auto dealerships (9.0%), tire company-owned stores (6.5%), and miscellaneous outlets (2.5%).
- Retailers such as Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc., are mass merchandisers, accounting for 11.5% of the retail market for auto tires in the US, which is about 24 million tires in direct sales in 2017.
- The retail market for auto tires in the US was projected to grow at a CAGR of 1.5% between 2014 and 2019.
- Assuming a similar rate for each segment of the market for the period 2017-2019, then approximately 24.73 million tires were sold across the US by mass merchandisers in 2019 (calculated using the CAGR calculator, where the growth rate is 1.5%, the no. of periods is 2, and the initial value is 24 million tires).
Top Retailers of Auto Tires
- Modern Tire Dealer, an authoritative body providing data on the retail market for auto tires in the US, reports that Walmart Tire & Lube Express, Sears Auto Centers, and Pep Boys-Manny, Moe & Jack are the major tire sellers among mass merchandisers.
Walmart Tire & Lube Express
- Walmart Tire & Lube Express operates 2,582 stores nationwide.
- The estimated cost per tire at Walmart Tire & Lube Express is $102.
Sears Auto Centers
To determine a list of the top 5 retailers of automotive tires in the United States, the research team searched through industry research databases such as the Modern Tire Dealer and Consumer Reports, as well as credible media sites such as Automotive News. Unfortunately, there's no pre-compiled list of mass merchandisers selling auto tires in the United States. However, these databases reported only three companies as the major tire sellers among mass merchandisers in the country. Identifying additional mass merchandisers proved difficult since they do not disclose the number of tires sold from their outlets or revenue generated.