Top Tattoo Trends 2010-2014
Top tattoo trends from 2010 to 2014, in order, are fine-art replicas, lettering, glow in the dark tattoos, finger tattoos, and the infinity symbol.
- One popular trend for tattoos in 2010 was fine-art replicas. This trend was motivated by the advancements in tattooing technology which made replicating watercolors and other works of art in great detail possible.
- Some examples of shops providing these tattoos included Colorwheel Tattoos in Shillington, PA, No Ka Oi Tiki Tattoo in Philadelphia, PA, and Eddie's Tattoo, also in Philadelphia, PA.
- This trend was in part popularized by celebrities like Demi Lovato who had two words tattooed to her wrists in 2011, and was mentioned as notable by tattoo artists like Rachel Kolar from True Blue Tattoo in Austin, Texas.
- UV tattoos are popular among those that go to raves or nightclubs regularly, where the tattoos will most likely be seen under the special lighting common in those locations.
- According to the American Tattoo Society, they are also popular for those that may want to hide their tattoos under regular circumstances.
- The trend really caught on after celebrity Cara Delevingne got a finger tattoo of a lion's face in 2013.
- Tattoo artist Kevin Paul, who commonly tattoos celebrities, noted the finger tattoo trend.
- One group for which this was extremely popular was teen girls. It was made more popular thanks to sites like Tumblr, where girls could share pictures of the tattoo.
- The tattoo was representative of a sisterhood or "everlasting bond", meaning girls usually got the tattoo together with a sister or very close girlfriend.
Trends for each year were chosen as top based on their mention in at least two reputable sources.