Sustainable Straw Market
Sustainable/Eco-Friendly Straw and Product Movement
As the world continues to become eco-conscious, more manufacturers are embracing environmentally friendly products as a form of compliance. Top players in the sustainable/eco-friendly straw and product movement/market are some of the industries that continue to embrace eco-friendly productions. Some of these players include; Aardvark, NATURALNEO Organic Bamboo Straws, Hiware Glass Reusable Straws, Merrypak Strawa, Simply Straws, Jungle Straws, Klean Kanteen, and Biopak.
- In 2007, Aardvark re-introduced paper straws in response to an increasing anti-plastic movement. Furthermore, service industries such as hospitals and restaurants were forced to look for more sustainable, eco-friendly straw options, and Aardvark had to take the opportunity as a market leader. The company uses natural paper to make its straws.
- In 2019, Aardvark opened a new 10,000 square foot paper straw manufacturing facility to enable them to meet the goal of increasing their production capacity by 700% by the end of 2019.
- While the global drinking straw market is highly competitive, players such as Aardvark are moving towards strategic development and product launch, especially in line with environmental consciousness seems to have an added advantage.
- The unavailability of alternative material such as bamboo, glass, metal, and silicone is hindering players such as Aardvark. However, Aardvark has a steady supply of natural papers. Even though paper straws are becoming common in the market, Aardvark’s are stronger and more durable, giving the company a competitive edge over its business rivals.
- Further, these straws are the only American made paper straws and are approved by the FDA. These paper straws are food-grade materials, marine-degradable, and compostable.
NATURALNEO Organic Bamboo Straws
- NATURALNEO Organic Bamboo Straws are made from organic bamboo. These straws are both eco-friendly and bio-degradable, and all-natural, thus giving them a competitive advantage in an otherwise competitive market. These straws are handmade, come in different sizes, and can be used in different types of drinks.
- According to market reports, the global eco-friendly straw market is expected to grow at a 7% CAGR over the 2019-2025 forecast period. Key players such as NATURALNEO Organic Bamboo Straws are predicted to dominate leading markets such as North America for 2017 t0 2025.
- Bamboo straws such as the natural neo brand are gaining popularity, hence attracting more market share and a competitive advantage over other straws, because they are not only sustainable but biodegradable as well.
Hiware Glass Reusable Straws
- Nearly 500 million straws are discarded in the US alone. In the recent past, stakeholders such as restaurants, hotels, and fast-food eateries such as McDonald’s have diversified to eco-friendly straws. Options such as glass straws are replacing plastic straws. The market for eco-friendly is expected to grow exponentially around the globe.
- While the glass option has been an appreciated replacement in line with eco-consciousness, there has been growing concern regarding the fragility of glass straws. However, Hiware Glass Reusable straws are completely safe. Their competitive edge is that they are also more convenient compared to metal straws as glass straws take on the drink’s temperature, making them more ideal for both hot and cold beverages. The straws are easy to clean, scratch-resistant, and stain-free, giving them an edge in the market.
- Some factors that give the Hiware Glass Straws an edge in an otherwise competitive market is that the straws are made of lead-free borosilicate glass, making it more resistant to shattering. More so, these straws come with a scrubbing brush that is fitted inside the straws and is also dishwasher friendly.
- Merrypak Straws is a key player in the manufacturing of eco-friendly straws. Further, the brand alongside its competitors continues to form critical market dynamics that are impacting the global market growth in terms of production, consumption, sales, industry value chain, and competitive landscape. As a key player in the eco-friendly straws market, Merrypak Straws has continued to grow despite the global COVID-19 Impact.
- As a global key player, Merrypak Straws continues to influence the eco-friendly straws market in terms of pricing, expansion of the market, services, and the products, as well as the market trends and values.
- An overview through the brand’s official page shows that the brand has diversified into paper and bio straws. Merrypak Straws, alongside its key competitors, has managed to dominate markets such as North America and Europe.
- Founded in 2012, Simply Straws is a member of 1% For The Planet. These straws are reusable straws that counter single-use plastics. Simply Straws are handmade and have a minimal environmental impact. Simply Straws come in various shapes and sizes and are made of either glass or stainless-steel material.
- As a key player in the eco-straw market, Simply Straw maintains a competitive advantage based on critical drivers such as the implementation of stringent government regulations against the consumption of single-use plastic.
- For the period 2014-2019, the global reusable straw market grew at a CAGR of approximately 12%, and this growth is expected to continue its double-digit growth rate in five years. As such, key industry players such as Simply Straws could occupy a bigger market share soon.
- As a member of the 1% For The Planet, Jungle Straws make socially responsible products that are SGS certified and food safe. Jungle Straws are made of bamboo, as an eco-friendly measure to promote sustainable living. As a key industry player, Jungle Straw’s competitive advantage is that their products are reusable and provide a zero-waste alternative while reducing the effects of single-use plastic pollution.
- Jungle Straws does not use middlemen or distributors, making the price even more affordable, which adds the brand an added edge, in an otherwise competitive market.
- Going by the increasing demand for eco-friendly straws, key players such as Jungle Straws, have continued to gain a competitive advantage over single-use plastic straws. Experts anticipate that the market value for eco-friendly straws such as bamboo-made straws will reach $2.5 billion by 2025.
- Klean Kanteen makes reusable stainless steel straws. These straws are made with safe, and flexible silicone tips. Unlike most metallic straws, Klean Kanteen are dishwasher safe, which adds a competitive edge to the brand. Further, these straws come in various sizes to fit various mugs and bottles.
- On average, Americans use 500 million straws every day. Through their reusable straws, Klean Kanteen ensures that its customers can do away with single-use plastic straws. As a top player, Klean Kanteen upholds high quality and safety. The other competitive edge is that the straws have a removable silicone flex tip making it easy for users to sip.
- The hectic and sedentary consumer lifestyles have increased on-the-go food and beverage consumption and delivery services. As a result, there has been a raging need to replace single-use plastic straws. Key industry players such as Klean Kanteen have used these initiatives to propel their market share and gain a competitive advantage in the straw market.
- In 2019, the paper straw market revenue was estimated to be over $1.6 billion. The paper straw market is expected to increase at a 13.8% CAGR in terms of value throughout the 2020-2026 forecast period.
- Unlike many eco-friendly straws today, Biopak’s compostable and recyclable paper straws do not have any coating. Instead, these paper straws use premium, extra 3-ply paper to avoid the spread of germs and upholding hygiene standards. These straws are also manufactured in a wide range of sizes and styles as a marketing strategy for various demographics.
- As a pioneer and a leader in sustainable innovation, Biopak has continued to promote sustainable plant-based solutions for over a decade, and this provides the brand with an added marketing edge as the world continues to become eco-conscious.
Factors That Are Driving Growth in The Sustainable/Eco-Friendly Straw
Many factors are driving growth in the sustainability/eco-friendly straw market. These factors include environmental consciousness and re-usability.
- Use of plastic straws is affecting the environment, animals, and birds as approximately 8.3 billion straws are lying on coastlines around the world. As a result, there have been growing demands regarding the usage of eco-friendly products, which have put key players in the drinking straws sector under pressure to manufacture natural, organic, and reusable straws.
- The demand for eco-friendly straws has seen the demand for paper straws go up for different end-use applications and the rise in government reforms and campaigns to ban plastic. Naturally, this will increase the overall growth for alternative or eco-friendly straws market across the globe.
- In 2019, the global paper straw sales stood at $585 million. However, these sales are projected to grow to $1,687 million by the end of 2024, thus recording a 23.6% CAGR. The European market alone is expected to grow in value at the highest 31.2% CAGR during the forecast period.
- Environmental consciousness has been triggered by the exploitation of marine and animals’ lives. As such, the food and beverage industry has felt obliged to give up plastic straw and embrace eco-friendly ones. The extensive adoption of eco-friendly by stakeholders such as restaurants, hotels, cafes, lounges, and roadside eateries who have become environmentally conscious has in turn driven the demand for eco-friendly straws.
Demand for Recyclable and Bio-degradable Products due to Consumer Awareness
- Consumer awareness has been a key driver in the growth of sustainable straws. Consumer awareness has led to the demand for recyclable and biodegradable products. The global awareness regarding the reduction of non-degradable products and favorable government policies as well as increasing investments by private bodies have been key drivers of eco-friendly straws.
- Consumers have created a demand for reusable straws as they not only conserve the environment but are also reusable. Manufacturers are also embracing these straws as they are reducing costs and packaging waste. Biodegradable straws are made of natural materials and have an appealing and unique look. More so, biodegradable straws are a convenient option for both hot and cold beverages.
- Recyclable straws are made of products and materials that can be broken down, re-purposed, and reused. Biodegradable straws on the other hand are made of materials that can be completely broken down and can decompose into natural elements without causing harm to the environment, as they do not release toxins into the earth.
- As the need to replace plastic straws continues to drive demand for recyclable and biodegradable straws, manufacturers are spoiled for options. Today, biodegradable straws come in many forms, shapes, and sizes. Some popular biodegradable straws include; wheat straws, bamboo straws, hay straws, cane straws, paper straws, seaweed, and metal straws.