Sustainable Packaging Innovations-Part 1
Sustainable packaging innovations that were released in the past year include Pizza Round, Good Natured's food packaging, Elopak Pure-Pak, the paper bottle, THREEANGL, Air Assist, Tide Packaging, Smol laundry capsule packaging, and Nuatan. A detailed overview of the innovation behind these sustainable packaging solutions follows below.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
1. Pizza Round
- Pizza Round is an innovative pizza packaging product from World Centric that delivers a combination of operational, environmental, and customer benefits.
- Pizza Round is a "100% tree-free, plant-based, compostable pizza container for pizza takeout/delivery restaurants."
- The sustainability aspect of the Pizza Round product is in the composition of the product i.e. it is 80% sugarcane and 20% bamboo which are renewable raw materials.
- The product offers a sustainability advantage to restaurants that want to reduce their environmental impact.
- Pizza Round is innovative because it is designed to reduce packaging waste, labor, and space while also reducing the issues present in traditional cardboard pizza boxes.
- Pizza Round's design offers convenience to customers in the aspects of reheating, serving, and cutting guides for pizza portioning purposes.
- Pizza Round was released by World Centric on March 15, 2018.
2. Good Natured Food Packaging
- Good Natured is a company that produces sustainable packaging products that are manufactured from bioplastics.
- In the past year, the company released plant-based food packaging products that are manufactured using annually renewable resources.
- The company's food packaging products can be used to package baked goods, fruits, vegetables, and other types of food in home or commercial use.
- Good Natured's food packaging products are innovative because they are produced from 99% plant-based materials that are free from potentially harmful chemical materials like bisphenol A (BPA) and phtalates.
- The food packaging products are sustainable and good for the environment because they are produced from renewable materials with up to 77% reduction of greenhouse gases.
- Good Natured's food packaging products were released in July 2018.
3. Elopak Pure-Pak
- Elopak Pure-Pak cartons are packaging products for liquid food that are regarded as eco-friendly alternatives for brands to use.
- The Pure-Pak cartons come in different size options so as to cater to the different needs that exist in the food packaging industry.
- Elopak Pure-Pak cartons are made from 100% recyclable materials that are lightweight and sustainable. The cartons also feature a nature brown color because of the elimination of an exterior white layer.
- The Pure-Pak cartons are manufactured as premium products that give consumers emotional, functionality, and food safety benefits. The products are divided into three i.e. Pure-Pak sense, Pure-Pak classic, and Pure-Pak diamond.
- Elopak Pure-Pak cartons were released on October 5, 2018.
4. The Paper Bottle Project
- The Paper Bottle Project was launched to design a bio-based paper bottle packaging solution that could be used as an alternative to wasteful plastic bottles. The project makes use of virgin pulp that is acquired from Scandinavian forests in the design of the paper bottles.
- The project is a collaboration between leading players in technology and barrier design.
- The innovative packaging solution that resulted from the Paper Bottle Project is a 100% recyclable and biodegradable paper bottle for carbonated beverages. The bottle can be used to minimize waste and empower brands and consumers into environmental conservation.
- An example of the innovative technologies used in the creation of this product includes the thermoforming (impulse drying) manufacturing technique that enables fiber mass injection and drying under high pressure in a closed-form.
- The partnership to create the world's first biodegradable paper bottle started in 2018.
CONSUMER PACKAGED GOODS
- THREEANGL is a Canadian company that designed a revolutionary product in the form of a "vegan, cruelty-free and 100% natural deodorant which will not damage the skin like chemical deodorants do."
- THREEANGL's deodorant packaging features an innovative biodegradable container that is not harmful to the environment.
- The innovative biodegradable containers that are used to package THREEANGL's deodorant are manufactured from agricultural residues and they take a maximum period of 2 years to fully degrade.
- After the containers degrade, they leave no trace in the soil and help reduce the environmental footprint that comes with the use of the product.
- THREEANGL deodorant was released on March 3, 2018.
6. Air Assist
- Air Assist is a packaging technology by Procter & Gamble (P&G) that won the Diamond Award during Dow's 2018 30th Awards for Packaging Innovation.
- Air Assist is mainly used to package liquid cleaners using compressed gases that provide rigidity to create structure in flexible films.
- The Air Assist liquid packaging technology is good for the environment and innovative because it results in the use of 50% less plastic as compared to traditional bottles.
- After production, Air Assist packaging products remain tough enough for e-commerce shipping of packaged products without the need for extra protection measures.
- Additionally, Air Assist is a more resource-efficient solution that offers cleaner liquid dispensing, controlled dosing, and convenient one-handed use.
- P&G fully utilized Air Assist in 2018.
7. Tide Packaging
- Tide is a P&G laundry detergent brand that used to be packaged in plastic containers.
- Through a collaboration between Amazon and P&G, Tide's non-environmentally friendly plastic containers were re-engineered from bottles to boxes for waste reduction, sustainability, and environmental conservation.
- This collaboration was part of Amazon's Frustration-Free Packaging program that has so far resulted in the elimination of 458,000 tons of packaging materials and the avoidance of 1 billion shipping boxes.
- Through an innovative repackaging process, P&G redesigned Tide's plastic packaging to the new Tide Eco-Box.
- The Tide Eco-Box has around 60% less plastic and 30% less water than the previous plastic packaging. Additionally, the Eco-Box is four pounds lighter and ships to customers in its own container then transforms into a detergent dispenser.
- Tide Eco Box was released on November 9, 2018.
8. Smol's Laundry Capsule Packaging
- Smol is a U.K.-based laundry detergent capsule delivery company.
- The company designed a 100% recycled board packaging for the delivery of its water-soluble laundry capsules that are manufactured from 90% recycled polyethylene terephthalate.
- Smol's laundry capsule delivery cardboard boxes are made from 100% recyclable materials that are biodegradable and bio-sourced.
- The delivery cardboards are designed in a compact form factor so as to use less plastic and minimize negative environmental impacts.
- Smol and its sustainable laundry detergent products and packaging solutions were launched in 2018.
- Nuatan is a new and innovative biodegradable natural plastic that was specifically created to reduce waste in large water bodies like oceans and lakes. Nuatan achieves waste reduction as the material can be safely eaten by aquatic animals.
- Nuatan was designed for companies that want to create value-added products that have a positive impact on the environment.
- With its range of unique attributes, Nuatan can be used to create reusable products like "houseware, interior objects, furniture, toys, fashion accessories, and consumer electronics parts and accessories, among many others."
- The material can also be used to create innovative packaging solutions that are not harmful to the environment.
- Nuatan is an innovative product that is made from 100% plant-based materials that originate from renewable resources like corn starch, potato starch, and used cooking oil.
- In addition, Nuatan is more durable than other types of bioplastics and the material can also be degraded harmlessly when ingested by aquatic life or composted.
- Nuatan was released on September 24, 2018.