Consumer Summer Activities
People in the 18-49 age group travel a lot during summer. Kids watch more TV, eat more, and attend summer camps during the summer. Moms with kids take children to swimming pools, play with them, and take them to various outdoor activities such as camps and sports events.
18-49 age group
- 56% of Millennials (18-34 years of age) and 35% of generation Xers (35-54 years of age), were planning to travel or go on a vacation during the summer in 2018.
- Moreover, 77% of Gen Z (4-24 years) and 76% of millennials are planning to undertake summer vacation trips in 2019.
- 25% of male shoppers aged 18-34 will buy new clothes in summer.
- About 1/3 of female shoppers aged 18-34 will do most of their shopping in the summer.
- 30% of millennials visit museums, galleries or cultural events and 28% prefer outdoor activities in the summer.
- Millennials do prebooking of vacations, travel, and shows.
Moms with kids
- During the summer, moms with kids visit swimming pools, go on vacations, and travel.
- Moms with kids spend lot of their time trying to make kids watch less TV, spend more time outdoors, sleep properly, be more structured.
- According to Megan Brammeier, a working mom, working moms reduce their other activities during summer to spend time with their kids.
- It has also been reported that summer is the swimsuit season for women and for moms.
- Another website, MomStatic, states that during summer, moms with kids accompany their kids to different activities such as summer camps, swimming, and sport events.
The Cambridge English Dictionary defines primary as "more important than anything else/main". We also found that the average age of a US woman when she first becomes a mother is 26.3, according to a study conducted for The New York Times in 2019. On the other hand, the end of child bearing in the US is 40-44, according to a 2019 Pew Research Centre article. From the data from these two sources, it is triangulated that the average age span of mothers in the US is 26-44. It was also assumed that kids fall withing the age group 1-18, as the legal adulthood age in the US is 18. As such, a woman who became a mother at the age of 44 can have a kid at the age of 62 (44 + 18). After 62, the kid becomes an adult and the 'moms with kids' category does not apply anymore. So, the age group of moms with kids is assumed to be 26 – 62. As such, we have focused on the main activities that the specific groups do during summer. We went through several industry reports and surveys such as Travel Weekly, Woking Mother, and Zimmer Marketing. Using that research path, we were able to find a multitude of activities that each group practiced. We have detailed only the ones that appeared the most throughout our research.