Testosterone Deficiency - Patient Challenges
Men with testosterone deficiency face several challenges, including psychological disorders, metabolic disorders, cardiovascular disorders, sexual disorders, physical problems, social anxiety, and a higher risk of death. We have presented below a detailed overview of the various social, health-related, and psychological problems related to testosterone deficiency in men.
- Low testosterone levels in men can make it difficult to get or maintain erections. In case the levels are too low, a man may not be able to get an erection at all.
- Low testosterone levels can also lead to a reduction in bone volume and make them more susceptible to fractures. Testosterone helps to produce bone tissue, and hence, low testosterone levels in men can lead to reduced bone mass, brittle bones, and osteoporosis.
- Insomnia is another health challenge associated with low testosterone levels. Men with low testosterone levels can find it difficult to have a sound sleep. In addition, low-T levels can lead to sleep apnea, a severe sleep disorder that causes a person to temporarily stop breathing, thereby disrupting sleep.
- A reduction in the testosterone levels of men can also lead to obesity and an increase in body fat. In certain cases, the same can also lead to breast tenderness and gynecomastia, a medical condition characterized by the enlargement of breasts.
- Men with testosterone deficiency are at an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) and medical conditions associated with CVD, such as high blood pressure, obesity, and high cholesterol.
- According to a research article in the Journal of the American Medical Association, low testosterone levels in men can lead to low blood counts and cause anemia. This can lead to further health issues such as dizziness, lack of concentration, leg cramping, and an abnormally rapid heart rate.
- Some other health challenges faced by men with testosterone deficiency include hair loss, reduction in testicle size, reduction in the amount of semen, infertility, hot flashes, acne, lowered sex drive, low levels of energy, frequent fatigue, and reduced muscle mass.
- Low testosterone levels in men can lead to emotional changes like irritability, lack of focus, feelings of sadness, and depression. They are also likely to cause frequent changes in mood or mood swings.
- Men with testosterone deficiency find it arduous to organize their tasks and keep themselves focused. They are likely to have low levels of mental concentration and focus while undertaking any task.
- Low testosterone levels coupled with high cortisol levels can have an impact upon the mental health and behavior in men, resulting in anger, hostility, anxiety, increased passivity, feelings of insecurity, and overall irritability.
- Testosterone deficiency can also lead to increased mental stress and trigger lateral stress symptoms such as erectile dysfunction or decreased libido.
- In addition, testosterone deficiency in men can have an impact on their cognitive functions, particularly memory.
- As per doctors, lower testosterone levels can contribute to affected memory. Certain research studies have also linked testosterone supplementation with improved memory in men with low levels.
- Testosterone deficiency in men can lead to increased social anxiety and social stress. This social anxiety disorder can instill fear of being judged negatively by other people in testosterone deficient men.
- The social anxiety in men with low testosterone levels can also cause them to feel inferior, humiliated, and embarrassed in the society. The day to day social interactions may also become challenging for such men.
- Men with testosterone deficiency tend to avoid social gatherings and be reclusive, fearful, submissive, avoidant, and low on self-esteem. Such men can also find it challenging to make proper eye contact while having social conversations.
- On a positive side, as per a study published in the Australian Financial Review, men with low testosterone levels tend to be less narcissistic in leadership positions than the ones with higher levels.