Shipping Incentives & Return Policies - BestBuy & Costco
BestBuy US offers free standard delivery to metro locations on purchases of major appliances with a total exceeding $399. The company charges a fee to ship major appliances to locations outside major metro areas, but customers receive a $69.99 discount. BestBuy also ships larger televisions for free and allows for the return of major appliances within 15 days from the day the product was delivered to the customer. BestBuy Canada does not offer free delivery for major appliances and customers are required to return furniture and mattresses in the original packaging within 30 days. Detailed information is below.
- In the US and for major appliances such as refrigerators, wall ovens, dishwashers, and washing machines, BestBuy offers free standard delivery on purchases totaling $399 or more, to a few metro delivery locations. The minimum $399 purchase applies after discounts to large appliances only and cannot be reached by adding smaller items.
- The company adds extra charges to deliver major appliances outside a major metropolitan area. However, a $69.99 discount is given for purchases totaling $399 or more. BestBuy also offers free shipping for larger televisions that are 51 inches or smaller. This excludes scheduled delivery items and those displaying "In Store Only" message.
- For all other items, BestBuy provides free standard shipping on orders valued $35 and above. The $35 minimum order applies after coupons, but before taxes. However, select special orders, digital downloads, scheduled delivery items, e-gift cards, and items removed or canceled from the order are not included. The company highlights free shipping on qualifying items in the customer's cart and on the product page.
- BestBuy also offers free next-day delivery on many items. This depends on the availability of a product and the time of day the customer ordered it. A minimum purchase of $35 is required after coupons, but before taxes, to have a customer's items shipped. Elite Plus and My Best Buy Elite members are not bound by the $35 minimum purchase.
- For free next-day delivery, select special orders, digital downloads, scheduled delivery items, e-gift cards, and items removed or canceled from the order are not included. There may be limitations for free next-day delivery during Thanksgiving week, on weekend orders, and select promotional periods. Free next-day delivery is not available on Sunday and weight and size restrictions apply.
- For major appliances, BestBuy accepts returns, but this has to happen within 15 days from the day the product was received. Once the appliance is delivered or taken home, the customer has 15 days to contact the company regarding any damage, defects, or other issues.
- The company has extended the holiday return period for most products that were purchased in November and December 2019, which can be returned until the 14th of January 2020. However, this excludes items such as major appliances and cell phones.
- With a few exceptions, BestBuy reimburses a customer for returned items in the same method they paid for them. This is if the customer does not wish to exchange the product for the same item. However, if the customer paid over $800 in cash or over $250 by a debit card that lacks a major credit card logo or by check, the company refunds within 10 business days by check.
- Returned items must be in a "like-new condition" with all packaging and accessories to be accepted. Damaged or scratched items without original packaging may not be accepted, or a nonrefundable deduction fee may be applied to the refund. Proof of purchase is also required before the returned item can be accepted.
- Free standard delivery shipping is offered to "all orders over $35" before fees, taxes, and promo codes are included. There are exceptions including large items that need scheduled delivery, those sold and shipped by Marketplace sellers, and locations that need air delivery.
- For major appliances, the customer has to pay for scheduled delivery. For example, shipping within a major urban area costs $79.99 for refrigerators and freezers, $49.99 for mattresses, and $49.99 for a large piece of furniture.
- BestBuy Canada does not allow for some major appliances, such as refrigerators and freezers, to be returned once the item is out of the box. The company advises customers to measure the space that will hold the appliance before ordering it.
- For other major appliances, customers must return them within 30 days in an unopened condition to receive a refund. Items that do not fit may be exchanged after the delivery team has confirmed the issue. Defective or damaged appliances "are subject to manufacturer's warranty."
- Furniture must be returned within 30 days, unassembled, and in its original packaging. "Furniture items shipped to Newfoundland and Labrador are final sale and cannot be returned or exchanged." Other options or compensation are available for damaged items after consulting the customer care department.
- Mattresses must be returned within 30 days, unopened, and in the original wrapping. Koala Mattresses must be returned within 100 days and can be opened and unboxed. This is only valid for "purchases made after January 1, 2019, and Northwest Territories, Yukon Territory, and Nunavut are excluded."
- TV & Home Theater items must be returned unopened within 30 days from purchase. The original packaging, original receipt, original method of payment, and a valid photo ID are required to receive a refund.
- Costco does not seem to offer free or discounted shipping. Items are shipped by Standard and Express Delivery, using carriers such as FedEx, UPS, or USPS. They are also shipped by UPS Mail Innovations.
- Large items are shipped by carriers using Curbside Delivery, Threshold Delivery, and White Glove Delivery.
- Costco's 100% satisfaction guarantee requires it to refund the purchase price for its products with a few exceptions. Electronics such as Televisions can be returned within 90 days from the date the item was received by the customer.
- Major appliances such as refrigerators over 10 cubic feet and washers can be returned to Costco within 90 days from the date the item was received.
- Items purchased from a Costco location must be returned to any Costco warehouse. Custom products with unique customer specifications cannot be returned or refunded, except for replacement or repair when the specifications have not been met.
- For items purchased in a Costco warehouse, presenting a receipt or the original packaging for the returned item is not required, but it may help to process the return.
- Freight deliveries are returned the same way. Once the returned item is picked up and in transit to the company, Costco processes the refund. A confirmation email is sent to the customer once the company has issued the credit to the customer's bank or credit card company to be processed.
- Every item sold on Costco.ca has a unique shipping method and the information can be found on the product page. Costco offers no free or discounted shipping incentives. This is because contracted freight carriers are used to ship items purchased from Costco that are too heavy or too large to ship using standard delivery carriers such as Canada Post, FedEx, Purolator, and UPS.
- Large and heavy items are shipped by contracted freight carriers using Curbside Delivery. White Glove Delivery is also used to ship items that require special setup or handling.
- Customers can easily return what they purchased to a warehouse and receive an immediate refund. They require an order confirmation to speed up the process. Customers can also return purchased items through Costco.ca by filling an online return form for a pickup and refund request.
- The item being returned must be in the same condition and package as it was delivered. Costco emails confirmation to the customer once it has issued the refund. Major appliances can be returned to Costco within 90 days from the date they were purchased.
- The company offers a manufacturer's warranty of two years and a receipt is required as proof of warranty entitlement, excluding counter top microwaves. The refund for returned items that are shipped by Costco.ca includes handling and shipping fees. The refund is credited to the credit card the customer used to order the item.