Statement Volume - Health Insurance 2 (A)
In 2018, 67.3% of the 299.79 million people in the United States with health insurance had private health insurance coverage. That same year, around 59.8 million people were enrolled in Medicare.
US Health Insurance Breakdown
- The total number of health insurance enrollments in the United States in 2017 amounted to 294.6 million.
- Meanwhile, private health insurance coverage enrollments reached 197.97 million (67.2% of 294.6 million).
- The number of Medicare enrollments in 2017 was 56.8 million.
- According to Statista, the number of Medicaid enrollments was 73.8 million in 2017.
- The total number of health insurance enrollments in the United States reached 299.79 million in 2018.
- Enrollments for private health insurance coverage in the nation was 201.75 million (67.3% of 299.79 million).
- The number of Medicare enrollments in 2018 was 59.8 million.
- As listed by Statista, the number of Medicaid enrollments was 74.8 million in 2018.
- Around 20% of all Medicare beneficiaries are qualified for the Medicaid program, and therefore, some are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid programs.
- Approximately 12 million people in the United States were dually eligible beneficiaries in the year 2017 for both Medicare and Medicaid benefits. (Source #11)
- The following year in 2018, the same number (12 million) people in the United States were dually eligible beneficiaries with both Medicare and Medicaid benefits.
- The majority of health insurance enrollees are able to enroll in multiple private health insurance coverage plans.
Initially, we scoured through the previous research request and discovered that 294.6 million and 299.79 million people in the United States were enrolled in health insurance coverage in 2017 and 2018 respectively. Next, we attempted to garner insights on the breakdown of US health insurance coverage and found that in 2017 and 2018, 67.2% and 67.3%, respectively, of the total health insurance coverage comprised of private insurers. Based on these facts, we calculated the number of private health insurance coverage enrollments for 2017 and 2018 as presented in findings section. Similarly, we located statistics on enrollment in medicare and medicaid in 2017 and 2018.
Please note that the summation of private + Medicare + Medicaid insurance enrollments may exceed the total health insurance coverage as some individuals (around 12 million people in 2017 and 2018) were enrolled in both Medicare and Medicaid programs, while others opted for more than one private health insurance program.