Statement & Bill Volume - Wastewater
The total number of wastewater accounts in the United States was 4,936,443 in 2018.
STATEMENT & BILL VOLUME — WASTEWATER
- The total number of wastewater accounts in the United States amounted to 4,936,443 in 2018. (Estimated)
- Nearly 76% of the population in United States rely on treatment plants for wastewater sanitation.
- According to Statista, US citizens paid a total of $57.6 billion for wastewater in 2018.
- The average annual bill of wastewater in the United States is $972.36 per account. (Estimated)
- As of August 2018, the Water Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (WIFIA) program closed four transactions totaling over $1 billion in loans to help finance $2.1 billion for water infrastructure projects and create up to 5,500 jobs.
- According to Hexaresearch, there are more than 16,000 publicly-owned treatment works (POTWs) catering to approximately 75% of the U.S. population. This means that these POTWs treat more than 32 billion gallons of wastewater every day.
We began our research by going through the website of the United States Environmental Protection Agency. We aimed to find information on the number of wastewater accounts in the United States. Unfortunately, most of the information we found pertained to funding, permits, and the organization's partnerships. We also consulted industry reports from Hexaresearch, IBISWorld, and Marketsandmarkets. While we were able to find information specific to wastewater, most of the available information was for the global market, with the breakdown per region available behind a paywall. As a last resort, we tried to identify any analysis made by industry experts on the US wastewater industry. However, we were only able to find information about the revenue generated from the US water industry, trends, and key players. As such, we decided to triangulate the information by using several details about the US wastewater market that we were able to identify throughout our research.
- #1. Average Wastewater Bill for one account
According to the 2017 Infrastructure report Card, in a 2014 survey, of the US' 50 largest cities, the average monthly wastewater bills ranged from $12.72 in Memphis to $149.35 in Atlanta. We assumed that the rates remained relatively the same in the next years. We used the provided values to calculate the average cost of the monthly wastewater bill in the US.
Cost of the average monthly wastewater bill = ($12.72 + $149.35)/2 = $81.03
Annual wastewater bill per account = (monthly bill x 12) = ($81.03 x 12) = $972.36
- #2. Total Annual Wastewater Bill, United States
According to Statista, US citizens paid a total of $57.6 billion for wastewater in 2018.
- #3. Number of Wastewater Accounts in United States:
Number of wastewater accounts in the US = (total annual bill in the US/annual bill per account)/ 12
= ($57.6 Billion/$972.36)/ 12= 4,936,443.3