Start-up Salary Information (1)
According to Glassdoor, a general and average salary for a machine learning engineer is approximately $140,000 with additional experience garnering higher payment (up to ~$178,000). Two startups in the San Francisco Bay Area that have advertised for senior machine learning engineers have ranges associated with the postings from $77K-$119K to $140K-$180K with 0.4% equity. More details about these ranges are provided below.
Senior Machine Learning Engineer/Scientist
- When adjusted for the “Internet & Tech” industry as well as 4-6 years of experience, the Glassdoor average salary information (which was last updated on November 13, 2019) for a machine learning engineer was $141,601. The high end was $178,000 and the low end was $99,000. (Please note that for this more general estimate, using the tech-based startup salary ranges seemed appropriate given tech startups’ contribution to the overall economy and startup growth trends.)
- A senior machine learning engineer based in Simi Valley, CA and working for AeroVironment (an American defense contractor founded in 1971) is required to have at least 4 years of experience and is estimated to make between $109,000 and $195,000 ($150,382 was the average).
- Entefy, an AI communication technology startup founded in 2012 in Palo Alto, CA, requests 5+ years of experience and a relevant PhD for its open senior machine learning engineer position. Glassdoor estimates the salary range to be between $77,000-$119,000; the average was estimated at $96,556. Please note that Glassdoor estimates are based on job and company-specific attributes and data.
- Grabango, a startup that ran Series A funding in January 2019, which focuses on building the ultimate shopper experience using computer vision, advertised for a full-time senior machine learning engineer in Berkeley, CA. Requirements included 5+ years experience and a PhD or equivalent industry experience. The salary range provided for the position was $140K-$180K with 0.4% equity.
- Similar positions and their salaries: big data engineer ($163,250), data architect ($141,250), data scientist ($125,250), data modeler ($101,750), developer/programmer analyst ($108,500), and software engineer ($125,750).