Sports Medicine Training Certification Competitive Analysis (2)
Corrective Exercise Competitive Analysis
The CES programs by NASM, ISSA, and ACE are offered online only. They are all designed to take up to 12 months. Additional information has been provided in the 'Corrective Exercise' tab of the attached spreadsheet.
- The National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) is headquartered in Gilbert, Arizona, with offices in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. NASM has been in operation for 30 years. It has been offering its CES training for over 15 years, and it claims to have coined the term 'Corrective Exercise.'
- The International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA) is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, and has been in operation for 32 years. The ISSA CES certification costs less than the NASM and ACE CES certification programs, and includes a free retest if the final examination is not passed on the first attempt. Furthermore, ISSA runs a job guarantee program that places its trainees in jobs across over 6,000 partner gyms, failure to which they receive their money back.
- The American Council on Exercise (ACE) is headquartered in San Diego, California, and has been in operation for about 35 years. ACE's CES program is offered in The BioMechanics Method designed by a leading global expert. The company is also involved in various advocacy and corporate social responsibility initiatives.
Personal Training Competitive Analysis
ACE is the only organization in the 'Personal Training' tab of the attached spreadsheet that offers personal training certification. Emory University refers interested parties to the websites for the Athletics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) and the American Council on Exercise (ACE) for "information and registration for certification." Since the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, Precision Nutrition Level 1, the Health Coach Institute, the National Society of Health Coaches, Dr. Sears Wellness Institute, and Duke Integrative Medicine do not provide personal training certifications, a competitive analysis of their Health Coach training programs has been provided, as useful findings.
- ACE is the only organization in the 'Personal Training' tab that offers personal training certification. ACE's support extends beyond training to the specialist's career. Apart from discounts and free online content, ACE creates work and continued learning opportunities.
- Emory University was founded in 1836. It is located in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Emory University does not offer a Personal Training certification; however, it refers interested parties to the websites for the Athletics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) and the American Council on Exercise (ACE) for "information and registration for certification." Since ACE's personal training offering has already been reviewed, the research team elected to review AFAA's personal training program.
Institute for Integrative Nutrition
- The Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) was founded 25 years ago. It is located in New York City, New York, and it has trained and certified over 100,000 professionals in 150 countries globally. It is recognized by the New York State Education Department and accredited by the Better business Bureau.
- IIN offers an industry-leading Health Coach Training course that lasts 6-12 months. The program is designed to teach students everything about Health Coaching, including nutrition science, students nutrition, wellness concepts, business-building, coaching methods, and marketing skills.
- The course is offered online, and is accessible on tablets, smartphones, or desktops. It consists of 40 in-depth weekly modules offered in both visual and audio formats. Students can interact with instructors and fellow students on "live coaching calls."
- Learners are furnished with PDF materials, assignments, quizzes, video lectures, and tests. They also get access to a class Facebook group.
- IIN claims to have created the Health Coach profession. It offers a holistic approach to wellness and health taught by 85 of the world's top experts.
- The institution has trained over 100,000 professionals in over 150 countries. The IIN certification is worth about 40 credits towards a higher degree.
Pricing and Target Audience
- IIN only reveals the cost of its Health Coach program after application. However, Indeed estimates that its prices range between $5,500 and $10,000.
- IIN targets all adults with a high school diploma, or equivalent.
Precision Nutrition Level 1
- Precision Nutrition (PN) was founded in 2003. It is headquartered Toronto, Canada, and operates a U.S. warehouse in Dallas, Texas. The company has helped over 100,000 health and fitness professionals to attain elite status in Nutrition Coaching.
- Precision Nutrition Level 1 is a Nutrition Coach Training program offered in 40 modules. Students get to study online and take online examinations at the end of each of the 20 chapters.
- Learners receive course materials and textbooks, as well as questionnaires, forms, and client assessment forms. Upon successful completion, certification materials are shipped worldwide at no cost.
- As part of its post-certification services, PN-certified specialists can have their businesses listed on the PN website. Those that do not pass can retake the exams five more times.
- PN certification acts as a bridge to other certifications, including ACE, NASM, ACSM, CPTN, and ISSA, among others. It also has a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Pricing and Target
- The PN Level 1 certification costs about $999 in total. The program is designed for all fitness and health professionals who want to expand their offering.
Duke Integrative Medicine
- Duke Integrative Medicine has been in operation since 2006. It is headquartered in Durham, North Carolina. It offers both online and on-site programs.
- Duke's "Integrative Health Coaching" program is offered in two course formats: the Foundation Course and the Certification Course. The Foundation Course focuses on the fundamentals of the program. It is offered both online and in-person. In-person applications have been deferred to the beginning of 2021.
- The Certification Course offers advanced training. It is a distance-learning program offered after the Foundation course.
- The Foundation Course is approved and/or accredited by IACET and the International Coach Federation (ICF). It is offered in both online and in-person modes. The Certification Course is NBHWC-accredited, and learners can earn Continuing Education credits.
Pricing and Target
- The Foundation Course costs $4,440 ($3,996 for early registration). Applicants must have a bachelor's degree. Exceptions are made for those with about 3-5 years experience allied health or medical fields.
- There is no cost data for the Certification Course. It targets people who have completed the Foundation Course.
Health Coach Institute
- The Health Coach Institute (HCI) was founded in 2015. It is headquartered in Boise Idaho. The company claims to have trained over 10,000 professionals in 30 countries globally.
- HCI's Become A Health Coach (BHC) program is a six-month program offered online. It is offered in four pillars: Personal Growth, Health & Wellness, Nutrition, and "Proven Marketing & Simple Business Systems." The pillars are dependent on each other and the training modules are delivered in weekly intervals.
- The course materials for the BHC program are delivered in multimedia formats, i.e., MP3, videos, and PDF.
- The courses are delivered in "short, absorbable 15-20-minute lessons" for easier assimilation and implementation. The videos are accompanied by detailed descriptions. HCI also offers "weekly skills lab" to provide the necessary experience to coaches.
- The HCI BHC program is approved by the International Coach Federation. The company is accredited by the Better Business bureau.
Pricing and Target
- The program costs $3,995 when paid in full, and amounts to $4,495 when paid in monthly installments. HCI does not provide any information on its target audience.
National Society of Health Coaches
- The National Society of Health Coaches (NSHC) has been in operations since 2007. It is located in Winchester, Tennessee. It has trained and certified over 5,000 professionals.
- The NSHC Certified Health Coach (CHC) program is a 12-month course that is valid for five years. Testing is conducted after the end of the designated learning period.
- Additional costs are incurred if the first test attempt is unsuccessful. The program is also offered to interested parties residing outside the U.S. All tests are conducted online. NSHC's "Health Coach Certification" and "Certificate of Completion" are awarded to clinical healthcare professionals and allied healthcare professionals, respectively, upon successful completion of the CHC course.
- The certification is equivalent to 42 CEUs for various programs. The certification is valid for five years.
Pricing and Target
Dr. Sears Wellness Institute
- Dr. Sears Wellness Institute has been in operation since 2008. It is headquartered in Englewood, Colorado. It is accredited by several reputable organizations.
- The company offers a "holistic, science-based health coach training." Its Health Coach training program is offered in three age-specific approaches: Families, Pregnancy, and "Adults & Seniors."
- The first live-stage course takes six weeks, and each additional course takes three weeks. There is also a 24-week "Master Health Coach" (MHC) certification.
- The packages include weekly reading assignments, conference calls, "interactive learning modules," "activities & assessments," and "discussion board collaboration."
- The company also offers ongoing support to its graduates, including access to marketing resources, Dr. Sears faculty, newsletters, referral programs, and networking opportunities, among others. The programs are NBHWC-approved.
Pricing and Target
- The first life stage program costs $945, two courses cost $1,345, and all three courses cost $1,645. The first MHC costs $2,895, two MHC courses cost $3,245, and a MHC certification specializing in all three life-stage courses costs $3,545. Dr. Sears' Health Coach program is open to "students with varying backgrounds, education, degrees, work and life experience who are able to successfully complete the training."
From our research, we established that ACE is the only organization in the 'Personal Training' tab that offers personal training certification. While Emory University does not offer a Personal Training certification, it refers interested parties to the websites for the Athletics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) and the American Council on Exercise (ACE) for "information and registration for certification." Since ACE's personal training offering has already been reviewed, the research team elected to review AFAA's personal training program.
We also found that the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, Precision Nutrition Level 1, the Health Coach Institute, the National Society of Health Coaches, Dr. Sears Wellness Institute, and Duke Integrative Medicine do not provide personal training certifications.
We searched thoroughly through each company's website. We also searched through the public domain for any media reports or third-party reviews that might have information on the companies' personal training offerings, or partnerships with institutions that provide personal training certifications. Our research also entailed searching through their news releases and social media pages.
All six companies seem focused on providing Health Coach training. The research team, therefore, decided to provide a competitive analysis of their Health Coach training programs (apart from Emory's), as useful findings. However, we chose not to fill this information in the spreadsheet in case the client may need Wonder to generate a list of companies that provide Personal Training certifications.