Sports Fans - Demographics
Sport fans demographics vary by sport in the U.S. We've profiled the three major sports in the country — with football, baseball, and basketball and their respective leagues (NFL, MLB, and NBA) showing vastly different statistics for age, gender, educational level, income level, and ethnicity.
SPORTS FANS DEMOGRAPHICS
- 38% of men, and 26% of all women are interested in football in the U.S. When it comes to athletics, it's 31% for men and 28% for women, and for basketball it's 46% for men and 30% for women.
- 84% of sports fans in the U.S. are interested in women's sports. Out of those, 51% are male.
- For football, 55% of the population ages 16–24 are interested in football, same with 50% for ages 25–34, 29% for ages 35–44, 22% for ages 45–54, and 14% for ages 55–69.
- 16% of football fans in the U.S. are low income earners, 44% are medium income earners, and 40% are high income earners.
- 73% of American men and 55% of American women watch NFL games on television. The average NFL game viewer is 47 years old.
- NFL fans age breakdown is as follows: 9% are under 17 years old, 20% are aged 18–34, 34% are aged 35–54, and 37% are over the age of 55.
- 15% of NFL fans are black, 77% are white, and 8% are Hispanic.
- 54% of the population in the U.S. who only have high school education, while 63% of college educated people in the U.S. are NFL fans.
- The average MLB fan is 53 years old, with only 29% of MLB fans between the ages of 18 and 34. 23% of fans are aged 18–20, 25% are aged 21–34, 28% are aged 35–49, and 32% are aged 50–69.
- 30% of the MLB fans are female, and 70% are male.
- 83% of MLB fans are white, 9% are black, and 9% are Hispanic.
- Baseball mostly attracts the high income earning households of over $170,000, with the lowest ratings recorded in low income households.
- Education does not seem to play that big of a role in baseball, with most fans reporting to have higher education such as bachelor's or master's degree.
- 70% of NBA fans are male, and 30% are female.
- NBA fans age breakdown is as follows: 13% are under 17 years old, 32% are aged 18–34, 30% are aged 35–54, and 25% are over the age of 55.
- 45% are black, 40% are white, and 12% are Hispanic.
- 13% earn less than $20,000 a year, 21% earn between $20,000 and $40,000, 32% earn between $40,000 and $75,000, 15% earn between $75,000 and $100,000, and 18% earn over $100,000.
- 52% of college graduates and 54% of postgraduates are fans of the NBA, with only 50% of high school only educated people being fans of the league.