Metallic Coatings Industry Competitive Landscape (1)
DuPont operates four business segments that deal in the development and supply of various solutions, which serve multiple industries. PPG Industries operates two segments that focus on providing coatings that find applications in a broad array of industries.
- DuPont was initially part of the biggest chemical conglomerate — DowDuPont — that was split into three distinct, independent, publicly traded companies on June 1, 2019 — Dow, DuPont, and Corteva.
- DuPont de Nemours, simply known as DuPont, now operates four business segments following the splitting and restructuring of DowDuPont. They are electronics and imaging, transportation and industrial, nutrition and bioscience, and safety and construction.
- Its electronics and imaging division provides and supplies various tech, packaging, and advanced printing solutions, including differentiated materials and systems, for an array of consumer electronics and industries, such as "semiconductor, circuit board, industrial, display, and digital and flexographic printing." "It also provides cutting-edge materials for the manufacturing of rigid and flexible displays for advanced-matrix organic light emitting diode (AMOLED), and other display applications."
- This segment generated net sales of $934 million in Q3 2019 and $2.617 billion between January and September 2019.
- The transportation and industrial segment or division serves engineers, designers, and industrialists in the transportation, electronics, medical, consumer-end and industrial industries by providing "high-performance engineering resins, adhesives, silicones, lubricants and parts." Some of these high-performance polymers are thermoplastics, thermosets, and elastomers.
- This segment generated net sales of $1.209 billion in Q3 2019 and $3.795 billion between January and September 2019.
- DuPont's nutrition and bioscience segment provides innovative and consumer-driven solutions to "the global food and beverage, dietary supplements, home and personal care, energy, animal nutrition, and pharma markets." Some of these solutions are geared towards the advancement of healthy, sustainable specialty ingredients and products. It also works with customers to improve their processes and sustainability of products through its tech prowess in ingredients application, biotechnology, fermentation, etc.
- This segment generated net sales of $1.525 billion in Q3 2019 and $4.618 billion between January and September 2019.
- Lastly, its safety and construction segment develops and provides engineered products and solutions that make life better, safer, and easier for various industries, such as "construction, worker safety, energy, oil and gas, transportation, medical devices and water purification and separation." Some of these engineered products are high-performance fibers and foams, aramid papers, non-woven structures, Kevlar, etc.
- This segment generated net sales of $1.327 billion in Q3 2019 and $3.951 billion between January and September 2019.
Metallic Coating Products and Services
- DuPont offers several metallic coating products that find applications in various industries, such as automotive, consumer, and industrial products. These products are developed and provided by DuPont's electronics and imaging segment. The electronics and imaging segment also provides several coating and general metal finishing products, including the following:
- Silveron™ GT-101 Bright Cyanide-Free Silver: "An alkaline non-cyanide silver electroplate that produce bright silver deposits for various applications."
- Silveron™ GT-820 Cyanide-Free Silver Tin: "Silver-tin electroplate designed to deposit bright silver-tin alloy for electrical applications."
- There are other metallic coatings for copper, nickel, and chrome, such as Copper Glo™, Nickel Gleam EP-M, and Chrome Gleam 3C.
- PPG Industries operates two core business segments. They are the performance coatings and industrial coatings segments.
- These two segments focus on the supply of coatings and specialty materials to a broad range of applications, such as "industrial equipment and components, packaging material, aircraft and marine equipment, automotive original equipment, automotive refinish, and other industrial and consumer products."
- The Performance coatings segment is further divided into four strategic business units that supply performance coatings, such as adhesives, sealants, finishes, and others through various distribution methods, such as independent distributors, direct to customers, and company-owned stores. They are the automotive refinish coatings, aerospace coatings, protective and marine coatings, and architectural coatings.
- This segment had net sales of $9.087 billion in 2018.
- Likewise, the industrial coatings segment is divided into four strategic business units that provide specially formulated coatings direct to manufacturers and coatings and applicators. They are automotive OEM coatings, industrial coatings, packaging coatings, and specialty coatings and materials.
- This segment generated $6.287 billion in net sales in 2018.
Metallic Coating Products and Services
- PPG Industries provide some metallic coatings through its performance coatings segment and the industrial coatings segment.
- "DURANAR® XL Metallic Coatings offer added protection to metal roofing, wall panels and architectural components in difficult seacoast and industrial environments." It guards against acid rains, corrosive chemicals, abrasion, etc.
- Through its industrial coatings segment, PPG provides a range of elecrocoat products that are applied by electrodeposition and electrocoating systems. They include POWERCRON®: Electrocoating Technology, POWERCRON® ADVANTEDGE™ Tin-Free Electrocoats, FrameCoat® II: Electrodeposition Coating, and others.