Fastest Growing Software Companies Of All Time
The ten fastest growing software companies of all time include Appus Group, Slack, Uptake Technologies, Akamai Technologies, Calient Technologies, Illumio, Hortonworks, Koudai Gouwu, Cloudflare, and Blippar. Below, you will find more details.
To find the ten fastest growing software companies of all time globally, we started by extensively searching for such a list on media and industry sources such as Business Insider, WSJ, Fortune, Forbes, Tech Crunch, Inc, among others. Although we found several lists of the fastest growing companies in the US and fastest growing companies in different years, we didn't find the required data.
Next, we searched statistical databases and company aggregators such as Statista, Statistics Brain, Crunchbase, Owler, Hoover, among others for any ranking on the fastest growing companies in history. While we saw data such as Europe's fastest growing companies, we were unable to find the exact data we need or enough useful information.
Since no precompiled information could be found for this response, we decided to triangulate the data. Since companies grow at a different pace in different stages of development, we decided to look at the companies that reached the valuation of $1 billion the fastest.
We opted for using the $1 billion benchmark so that we would narrow a data set that would otherwise be too large and diverse for us to analyze. This was necessary because to determine the fastest growing company, there was a need for a "finish line", just as a race requires a finish line. This is important because a company may grow very fast and reach $10 million valuation (or 100 employees or an $1 million in EBITDA) but might not be able to sustain the growth, while another company that took a longer time to get to the $10 million valuation might get to $100 million in record time.
Hence, we decided to piece together data from different lists from Business Insiders, CNBC, Inc, and Fleximize to piece together a list of the ten fastest software companies to reach the $1 billion valuation mark. Those lists generally included data on the fastest companies to reach the $1 billion mark in various industries, so we scanned each list and selected software companies until we had a list of the ten fastest software companies to reach the $1 billion valuation mark.
10 fastest growing software companies of all time
1) Appus Group
- Why it is fastest: Appus Group is an Android software application provider that is headquartered in China. The company reached the $1 billion valuation mark in 7 months.
- Why it is fastest: Slack is an enterprise communication software provider and the company took a year and three months to reach the $1 billion valuation mark. Slack is headquartered in the US.
3) Uptake Technologies
- Why it is fastest: Uptake Technologies designs and develops industrial artificial intelligence (AI) software for businesses. The company is based in the US and reached $1 billion valuation mark in a year and four months.
4) Akamai Technologies
- Why it is fastest: Akamai Technologies is a software provider that specializes in providing content delivery services, cloud services, and security solutions. The company is headquartered in the US and the company achieved $1 billion valuation in a year and 6 months.
5) Calient Technologies
- Why it is fastest: Calient Technologies "designs and manufactures photonic optical circuit switching systems that enable optical layer optimization in data centers and software-defined networks." The company also provides software support, cloud services, data centers, among other solutions. The company is headquartered in the US and reached the $1 billion valuation mark in about 2 years.
- Why it is fastest: Illumio is a company that provides software as a service to businesses. The company specializes in providing cloud-based data security service to enterprises and is headquartered in the US. It took the company two years and three months to reach the $1 billion valuation mark.
- Why it is fastest: Hortonworks is a big data analytics and management software provider that is based in the US. It took the company three years to reach the $1 billion valuation mark.
8) Koudai Gouwu
- Why it is fastest: Koudai Gouwu is an intelligent mobile shopping software that helps match products to a user's personal preferences. The company is headquartered in China and the company reached $1 billion valuation in three years.
- Why it is fastest: Cloudflare provides DNS, CDN, DDoS protection and security, as well as other software as a service solution. The company is headquartered in the US and reached the $1 billion valuation mark in three years and five months.
- Why it is fastest: Blippar provides Augmented Reality (AR) solutions, mobile AR software, and computer vision solutions. The company is headquartered in London and reached the $1 billion valuation mark in three years and seven months.
During the course of our research, we also came across a list of the fastest software companies to reach a $100 million in revenue that may be useful.