Most customers purchase smartwatches to enhance convenience in receiving notifications (56%), tracking fitness (45%), getting news updates (31%), attending phone calls (25%), and checking emails (25%). Alternatively, top parameters considered for selection of smartwatches include features and functions (37%), price (25%), quality (18%), style (12%), and brand (8%).
TOP SMARTWATCH INFORMATION SOURCES
- Some top sources of information for a smartwatch customer include internet (51.5%), word of mouth by family and friends (27%), company websites (26%), TV commercials (14%), social media (10%), among others.
- According to a survey by Kentico, about 87% of smartwatch customers want to experience their smartwatches before purchasing them.
IMPORTANT PARAMETERS FOR SMARTWATCH SELECTION
- According to a recent survey by First Insight, some top parameters considered by consumers for selection of smartwatches include features and functions (37%), price (25%), quality (18%), style (12%), and brand (8%).
- It is found that most of the smartwatch buyers prefer watches priced below $100 (30% males vs. 45% females).
- According to Counterpoint Research, the most preferred brands for smartwatches are Apple (42%), Samsung (24%), Fitbit (14%), LG (7%), and others (13%).
- Some top features preferred by Apple smartwatch customers include LTE connectivity, S4 chipset, heart rate sensor, ECG, fall monitor, among others.
MOST PREFERRED STORES FOR SMARTWATCHES
- Apple Watch users prefer to purchase from Apple stores (76%), Amazon (74%), Best Buy (64%), Target (34%), Walmart (30%), and other operator stores (19%).
WHY PEOPLE PURCHASE SMARTWATCHES
- The top priority for purchasing smartwatch by consumers is to track fitness activities.
- In the US, about 60% (13.3 million) of smartwatch owners use a smartwatch for tracking their steps.
- Additionally, other prominent fitness activities tracked by smartwatch users include heart rate (~53%), calories (~47%), time of activity (~42%), and location (~38%).
- Some important functions used by smartwatch customers on daily basis include notification monitoring (56%), activity tracking (45%), getting news updates (31%), answering calls (25%), checking emails (25%), viewing photos (21%), navigating GPS (19%), and controlling home automation (17%).
- Alternatively, other essential parameters influencing smartwatch purchases include affordable pricing, convenience, and ease of use.
- The global market share of smartwatches in 2018 was as follows: Apple (37%), Imoo (10%), Samsung (9%), Fitbit (8%), Amazfit (5%), and others (30%).
We started our research by studying several global smartwatch surveys, reports, research studies, and media publications like ReserachGate, GlobeNewswire, EMBS, Kantar Worldpanel, etc. We were able to locate regional statistics and consumer perceptions around smartwatches but could not identify reports presenting an overview of the customer's journey for buying a smartwatch.
Next, we analyzed multiple articles and statistical reports about smartwatches from credible sources like Counterpoint Research, NPD, eMarketer, Kentico, and Statista. The research reports helped us identify essential aspects of a customer's journey for buying a smartwatch. These included information concerning parameters for purchasing smartwatches, sources of information for comparing smartwatches, top factors that influence purchases, top retailers for purchasing smartwatches, and utility of a smartwatch in daily lives.