The research team has provided the most recent data available (published in 2020) for the number of small, medium and enterprise-level pharma (NAICS 32541) companies in the United States, as well as the number of people employed by each tier, within the enclosed spreadsheet.
- The US Census Bureau's Statistics of U.S. Businesses (link here) is currently the authoritative source for detailed data regarding US businesses by NAICS code, enterprise number, enterprise size and employment.
- This publicly available data repository is published on an annual basis, with the latest release (March 2020) providing access to information from 2017 (link here).
- Notably, the release of the next series of data (2018) appears to be imminent based on the historic availability dates for this information, and may be located when published through the SUSB Tables (link here) and SUSB Datasets (link here) homepages.
- Other credible sources of data related to US businesses by NAICS code currently offer more recent statistics (the NAICS Association provides 2020 data, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics provides 2020 data, the US Census Business Dynamics Statistics Dataset provides 2018 data), however, none of these data sets offer the level of desired detail (i.e., a four-way data set of industry, enterprise number, enterprise size and employment).
- Moreover, available data sets that are not structured according to NAICS code similarly do not offer the level of desired detail and/or would require substantial additional research to arrive at the desired data points (e.g., looking up individual company data points).
- As such, the research team provided the latest available data from the Statistics of U.S. Businesses for NAICS 32541, including the desired information about the number of firms and their employment, segmented by both company headcount as well as small and medium/enterprise categories (as defined by Gartner).