Sleeve Clinic vs. Smart Shape - Part 2
Based on the limited number of online reviews found for the Sleeve Clinic weight-loss center, all are positive and revolve around the positive weight-loss results from the medical procedures and the skilled doctors. Meanwhile, the Smart Shape Clinic obtained a mix of positive and negative reviews. The clinic's positive reviews are mostly about the life-changing procedures and the competent and helpful staff. The negative reviews are more on some unprofessional personnel and poor after-surgery support.
The Sleeve Clinic
- The Sleeve Clinic offers gastric sleeve surgery to help patients lose weight and improve their overall health.
- The surgery is administered by Dr. Scott B. Gmora MD, FRCSC, FACS.
- The clinic boasts that he is the highest-rated bariatric surgeon in Ontario.
- He has done more than 1500 bariatric surgeries with 0% sleeve leak rate.
- The Sleeve Clinic Online Reviews
- Some of the online reviews include the following:
- "5 years later, I am maintaining 168 lb loss. I love to walk the trails. I love going to the beach. I love living! This is the best thing I ever did for myself and my family. I will always be forever grateful to Dr. Gmora and his entire team. " — from Tammy S.
- "I was very fortunate to have had bariatric surgery. I have now lost 150 lbs and surpassed my personal goal weight. Dr. Gmora gave me back my life. My brother recently had the same surgery and has had great success as well. I have no regrets! Thank you Dr. Gmora. " - from Nina P.
- "I had Bariatric gastric sleeve surgery and I feel great. Dr. GMora is excellent...it has been a year and I am very happy, no regrets of having the surgery." - Anonymous
- "I could not be more happy with the results of my gastric sleeve surgery. He was a wonderful doctor. Genuine, and caring. Down 84 lbs. and still the scale is moving." - Anonymous.
- "For those who haven't met Dr. Gmora and won't see him until surgery day don't fear, he is pretty great!" - JennR
- Overall, the reviews found on Sleeve Clinic's services and the resident doctor are all positive.
- The reviews mostly focused on the good results of the bariatric surgeries on these patients' weight-loss journey.
- The reviews also highlighted the remarkable skills and knowledge of Dr. GMora, the clinic's main doctor.
- Smart Shape provides various weigh-loss medical options. Their procedures include: " Gastric Sleeve, Mini Gastric Bypass, Revision Surgery, and LAP-BAND®."
- On Facebook, the clinic has attained a score of 4.3 out of 5 stars based on 14 reviews.
- Some of the online reviews found are as follows:
- "I am 3 months post op with the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I'm down 69 lbs and feel 100% better!
- My surgeon and nurses were amazing. The support and care you receive is second to none in my books!" - Diane Elaine
- "Due to complications from the band several years ago (done by another clinic) I had it removed and had the sleeve done. Smartshape are professional, caring and helpful. I'm 2 weeks out of surgery feel so much better and have lost 12 lbs.
- I don't know why people feel that they are not informative or helpful because I couldn't ask for a better team. I'm thankful Dr. C was my Dr. and wish I had gone to him 12 years ago." - Cindy Gimbel
- "I had done this years ago, it’s the best thing I have done for myself in a long time." - Tersea
- "I knew I needed to be proactive for my long-term well-being."
- ‐ Amanda
- "This experience has ultimately given me back my life."‐ Angela
- "Everyday they work hard to keep people in shape and looking good! We see that:) They won the 2015 Top Choice Award for the Top weight loss clinic in Mississauga. Congratulations and keep up the great work." - David Silvestre
- "This company is unprofessional in their dealings with people. I would be wary of getting involved with them." - Emma Stirling
- "Dr. Coburn did laporoscopic surgery to remove a lapband that my stomach had absorbed. (Grown around). He had to cut the lap band out of my stomach and restitch my stomach and insides together. This was not easy surgery which he did laporscopally. My GP couldn’t believe I looked so well one week after surgery. I am so grateful to him. He is an excellent surgeon." - Anonymous
- "Dr. Coburn is the best surgeon I have ever had. I am lucky to have had him in my corner and completely recommend him to anyone needing surgery. If I could have him do the RNY, I would, because I trust him that much." - Anonymous
- "They don’t give a crap about you after they have your money... After care program is a joke considering I am not happy with my treatment, have reached out at least 50 times and get nothing back or if I do it’s just a bunch of empty “I’m sorry’s” and excuses. I’ve been struggling with everything and have been looking for support, I follow the directions to a T and have seen no results. If I could give a below 0 review I would." - Priscilla Dargam
- "I am glad to make the decision to go to smart shape for my lap band. During my first consultation I met Dr. cobourn, he gave me answered all my questions and concerns and was very nice. I have lost over 100lbs and hope to lose more. The whole team at smart shape has been very helpful. Thank u so much for changing my life." — Sarah Lambo.
- The reviews found on Smart Shape's services are mostly positive. The sentiments revolve around the life-changing positive weight loss results of the surgeries of the patients. The patients also lauded the clinic's competent and helpful medical personnel.
- With regard to the negative reviews, a few patients claim that some staff are unprofessional and might be only after their money. They also claim poor post-operations support from the clinic.
We started our research by looking for readily available information on online reviews of the Sleeve Clinic, the Smart Shape clinics and their staff. We looked for this information in various sources such as their official websites, in consumer review sites such as Power Reviews, Review Center, Consumer Search Inc., Epinions, Yelp, and other similar sites; medical-related opinion sites such as RateMDs, Obesity Help, Doctor Canada, Where is my Doctor, and similar sources; social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube comments, and other relevant sources. Based on this search approach, we were able to find some sites that contain consumer reviews about these clinics' services and some of their staff. However, for Sleeve Clinic, we only found patients' reviews on their website and on the Rate MDs site. On Obesity Help, we found some outdated reviews about Dr. Gmora, Sleeve Clinic's main doctor.
We then checked health-related sites that cover the clinics' locations such as Business Mississauga, Northern Ontario Business, Ontario Health Care, Peel Region, CFPC, and other related sources. We hoped to find any reports or insights about these clinics that we can use to extrapolate relevant information. Based on this search, we uncovered some related insights about the Smart Shape clinic but most are outdated. We were not able to find additional reviews for Sleeve Clinic's services.
We also looked for relevant interviews or surveys through medical publications such as NCBI, IPAC Canada, Omics Online, CMAJ, and other similar sites; related medical association sites such as the Canadian Association of Bariatric Physicians and Surgeons (CABPS) website, BMI Medical, CMA, Medweight, Health Link BC, and other similar sources. We hoped to find any research or survey findings that we can use to derive the insights needed. However, most of the information found were on health and weight management in general. There were no related insights found that can be triangulated to assess the clinics and their staff.
We also checked related publications such as Forbes Canada, The Atlantic, Canadian Living, Chatelaine, Glow, and other related sources; media outlets such as CBC News, CNN, and other relevant sites to determine if there are reports or articles on weight-loss clinics or surgeries in Canada. We hope to use these articles to derive relevant points that can help in assessing the clinics. However, most of the information found were advertisements and general data about weight-loss facilities. No other data was found on these sites that can help in inferring the required information.
We also inferred that the reason for the limited availability of reviews on these clinics could be due to the private nature of the procedures offered. Some patients may opt not to share widely about their weight-loss journey. Given the results of our search strategies, we have presented our findings in the section above based on the limited number of reviews found. Some outdated information was also included as helpful historical findings to help in assessing these clinics.