SiriusXM Satellite Radio Podcasting Initiatives
The plans for SiriusXM Holdings regarding its podcast business segment include creating new channels & shows and partnering with auto companies to deliver advanced in-car audio experiences. SiriusXM has an original content team, and Pandora runs a hub dubbed 'Pandora for Podcasters,' to help the platforms create original content for their tens of millions of listeners. Both platforms reach an estimated 100 million listeners; however, Pandora has about 64 million monthly active listeners.
I. Insights into How SiriusXM Holdings Inc. is Planning to Grow its Podcasting Business Segment
New Channels and Shows
- According to research, SiriusXM's future growth and development depend on various factors, including developing new channels and bringing more shows to the platform.
- SiriusXM's new shows serve specific audiences in North America and can offer them unique content from other continents. For instance, on June 4, 2020, the company added Australian Football League (AFL) programming to its sports category.
- Eddie McGuire, one of Australia's top media celebrity will host the show, which also features "play-by-play broadcasts of an AFL Match of the Week."
- Other channels recently added to the platform include the David Bowie Channel, Mandatory Metallica, Hotel California — SiriusXM’s Eagles Channel, and many more.
- Fox News Media recently announced that three of its shows would be available to Pandora's listeners. These shows include "The Brian Kilmeade Show," "FOX Across America with Jimmy Failla" and "The Guy Benson Show." Likewise, 20 Fox News podcasts are also available on Pandora.
- SiriusXM partnered with Audi to deploy SiriusXM with 360L to ten Audi models that will launch in 2021. The SiriusXM with 360L is the company's "most advanced audio entertainment platform" delivering more in-car channels, personalization options, and On-Demand audio.
- The SiriusXM with 360L platform unifies the delivery of satellite and streaming content into a cohesive in-vehicle entertainment experience, elevating the way car users interact with the platform by presenting many entertainment choices.
- SiriusXM also teamed up with Verizon Communications, which will power the SiriusXM with 360L streaming platform using 4G LTE network. Through Verizon's network, more Audi models will have a fast and reliable in-vehicle access to SiriusXM’s On-Demand content.
- The SiriusXM with 360L platform will grant drivers and their passengers access to exclusive interviews, live performances, unique shows, and over 10,000 hours of recorded On-Demand content.
II. Summary of the Current Podcasts for SiriusXM and Pandora
- Most of SiriusXM shows across comedy, entertainment, sports, and talk are available on Pandora as podcasts.
- About 23 SiriusXM shows have been streaming on Pandora as podcasts since April 2019, and include shows hosted by Andy Cohen, Chris “Mad Dog” Russo, Hoda Kotb, Jenny McCarthy, Kevin Hart, etc.
- Podcasts on Pandora started in December 2018 with hundreds of shows and more than 100,000 episodes. Presently, the platform boasts thousands of shows and more than 600,000 episodes. These podcasts cover various popular categories like daily news, fiction & drama, history, true crime, etc.
- SiriusXM and Pandora podcasts are available to their audio listeners and subscriber base of over 100 million fans. Pandora has approximately 64 million monthly active subscribers.
Development of the Shows
- Creators develop most of the podcasts and shows on Pandora via a self-service online hub called "Pandora for Podcasters." Others are as a result of partnering with other broadcasters like Fox News.
- On the other hand, SiriusXM has an original content team for the platform that it created one month after acquiring Pandora.
- SiriusXM also offers joint content deals to artists who may want both an interactive Pandora content and a satellite show. Pandora is also courting musicians in its new business model by allowing them to inject voice tracks into their playlists.
- Overall, it appears that SiriusXM and Pandora are exploring ways to leverage original content created by artists, comedians, musicians, etc., and content created by curators in their hub, Pandora for Podcasters.
- According to the company, the Pandora for Podcasters hub allows for more content creators to join the platform's collection of top podcasts and make their podcasts available to Pandora’s millions of listeners.
Categories & Shows in the Categories
- The top categories for SiriusXM podcasts are entertainment, comedy, music, spirituality, and sports. Joel Osteen is the only show listed under the spirituality category.
- The shows under the entertainment category include "Andy Cohen’s Deep & Shallow Interviews, Jenny McCarthy’s Celebrity Dirt, and The Hoda Show.
- Equally, the shows under the music category include Trunk Nation, Debatable, Feedback, and Sway in the Morning.
- "Straight from The Hart with Kevin Hart, Ricky Gervais Is Deadly Sirius, Larry the Cable Guy Weekly Roundup, and A Comic Mind Hosted by Jeff Foxworthy are the shows under the comedy category.