Social Media Use - Singapore
Approximately 87% of internet users in Singapore use YouTube. On the other hand, approximately 54.97% of users around the world use YouTube. The five most active social networking platforms in Singapore are YouTube, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, and Facebook Messenger.
POPULAR SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS IN SINGAPORE
- Approximately 87% of internet users in Singapore use YouTube.
- On the other hand, the percentage of internet users who use WhatsApp in the country is 86%.
- In addition, 82% of internet users in Singapore use Facebook.
- Fifty-nine percent of people in Singapore use Instagram.
- The Facebook Messenger App is used by 52% of people in the country.
POPULAR SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS GLOBALLY
- Approximately 54.97% of global active internet users use Facebook.
- Conversely, about 46.19% of global internet users use YouTube.
- In addition, the global percentage of active users of WhatsApp is 36.95%.
- About 30.02% of internet users use Facebook Messenger.
- In addition, 23.09% of internet users in the world use Instagram.
SOCIAL MEDIA USE IN SINGAPORE
- Approximately two hours, eight minutes are spent on social media by Singaporeans every day. The time spent on social media is comparable to the global average, which is two hours, 16 minutes.
- One out of four Singaporeans uses Facebook while watching television. Approximately 17 minutes out of an hour are spent on Newsfeeds.
- Ninety percent of Facebook users in Singapore access the social media platform on their mobile devices. Approximately 3.2 million people use their mobile devices to access Facebook.
- Approximately 21% of active social media users use it for work purpose. About 143,000 public servants use Workplace by Facebook.
- In Singapore, YouTube is primarily used for watching music videos and content made produced by local creators. In addition, many YouTube users view TV content on the platform.
- According to Google Singapore, people between 16 and 34 years old prefer watching YouTube instead of television.
- In addition, 60% of internet users in Singapore use Instagram to see product reviews before making a purchase.
- Instagram users in Singapore use the platform as a form of expression by capturing and sharing moments.
GLOBAL SOCIAL MEDIA USAGE
- A 2018 Facebook study revealed that most people watch television on social media. The study revealed that people look at their phones 47% of the time when watching television.
- Approximately 96% of Facebook users access the platform using mobile devices.
- Facebook Workplace has over two million paid users
- Globally, YouTube is primarily used for music videos, watching comedy shows, recipes, hacks, and how-to guides.
- Instagram is primarily used to capture important life moments and relive them through photo and video-sharing.
We determined the percentage of users in popular social media platforms as shown below.
Number of active internet users globally = 4.33 billion
Number of Facebook users: 2.38/4.33*100 = 54.97%
Number of YouTube users: 2/4.33*100 = 46.19%
Number of WhatsApp users: 1.6/4.33*100 = 36.95%
Number of Instagram users: 1/4.33*100 = 23.09%
Number of Facebook Messenger users: 1.3/4.33*100 = 30.02%
It is noteworthy that we only found limited information on how people used the social media channels mentioned in this brief. We looked through industry sites, such as Broadcasting Cable, Sprout Social, and TNS Global. However, these sites provided information on user statistics. We further looked at statistical portals, such as Statista and App Annie but to no avail. These sites only provided information about usage statistics. Finally, we looked at social media events and conferences, such as Social Fresh, Social Media Strategies Summit, and Social Media Marketing World but to no avail. Instead, these conferences focused on advertising and marketing strategies on social media. For these reasons, we made the assumption that information regarding how people used social media was not available in the public domain.