Similar to Alton Brown, Pt 1
As requested, we have identified 25 Twitter accounts which are similar to Alton Brown's, both in content and in number of followers. For each chef, we have provided their name, Twitter handle and link, number of followers, and a description in the rows 3 through 27 of the attached spreadsheet.
- Like Alton Brown, Rick Bayless is a celebrity chef. He has his own restaurants and has published a number of recipes on his website. As well, he is the host of a cooking show called Mexico One Plate at a Time.
- Like Alton Brown, Emeril Lagasse is a celebrity chef. He has his own restaurants and has published a number of recipes on his website.
- Like Alton Brown, Christine Teigen is a celebrity chef. Though she is a model, Teigen is well-known for being a chef and has published multiple cookbooks.
- Like Alton Brown, Giada De Laurentiis is a celebrity chef who both has her own cooking blog and has published her cookbooks.
- Like Alton Brown, Bobby Flay is a celebrity chef. He owns several restaurants, stars in a number of cooking shows such as Iron Chef and Throwdown with Bobby Flay, and publishes hundreds of recipes on his website.
For the purposes of this research, we have defined a similar following as anyone having between 500,000 and two million followers. For reference, Alton Brown has 4.4 million Twitter followers. While we prioritized chefs with three to five million followers, we ultimately found that there were very few celebrity chefs, hosts of cooking shows, or cookbook authors with that many Twitter followers. In attempting to find chefs meeting this following requirement, we began by using Twitter's "you might like" feature, which recommends accounts similar to the one being viewed. Specifically, we reviewed the recommended accounts on Alton Brown's profile, as well as on profiles which had between three and five million followers and were similar in content to Brown's. Following this, we next reviewed lists and articles identifying and discussing well-known and most-followed celebrity chefs. While we were able to identify several such articles and found quite a few profiles in this way, the vast majority of chefs identified did not have between three and five million Twitter followers, and many had fewer than a million. Finally, we attempted to identify profiles meeting these requirements by searching first for well-known and popular cooking shows, and then identifying the Twitter profiles of their hosts. In this way, we were able to identify quite a few chefs with profiles similar to Alton Brown's; however, none of them had between three and five million followers. As a result, we expanded our criteria to include any chef with similar content to Alton Brown's, and with between 500,000 and two million Twitter followers.